Nik Collection 2018 by DxO - FREE with selected X-Rite products!

grrrr printing!!!!

Philh04 Plus
13 2.0k United Kingdom
29 Nov 2017 8:29PM

Quote: if the OP prints other people's images they print fine

I cannot find a reference to the OP printing other peoples files apart from reference files and files from the internet... A reference file should be printed as is, no further manipulation, therefore it should print correctly, the monitor can then be matched to the reference under the correct illuminant. I have not seen any reference to the print matching the monitor only that they print well.

When he prints his own files they are being edited on a monitor that is too bright because the hard/software has measured the ambient light and said that the monitor should be set to 112cd/m^2... no reference to a print, this will not give a print match... the monitor needs to be matched to the print, not the other way round.

The dark prints from CS5 that you have screen grabbed refers to a bug that occurred with Epson printers, not Canon, if the 16 bit checkbox in the driver was unchecked then 16 bit or 8 bit files were handled correctly.

I have offered to check and produce a print for the OP, my system here albeit Mac is accurate and prints match the screen... One of my printers is the same as the OP's so should give equal results.

Quote:Create a new Document in PS then paste in a copy of the reference print

It may be a better idea to increase the canvas size of a reference print and paste one of the OP's images into that... no further editing that will change the levels etc of the file and then print that straight, any problems should become evident.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Chris_L 5 5.0k United Kingdom
29 Nov 2017 10:34PM

Quote:I cannot find a reference to the OP printing other peoples files apart from reference files and files from the internet

Quote:I have not seen any reference to the print matching the monitor only that they print well.

Quote:loaded into Photoshop and printed, matches ^almost accuratley with my screens in my studio so something must be going ok.

Quote:get frustrated.........if its my image wonder how much ink I have just wasted - if its someone else's image, bask in the glory of a fine print that's just come out

Phil he couldn't be clearer. He's got other images taken by other people from webpages, he's loaded those into Photoshop and printed them, he's printed them via Windows too. They are fine. He would dearly love his images to print like other people's images.

When you open an image in Photoshop it's in edit mode, whether the image you open is somebody else's image from the web or one of your own
29 Nov 2017 10:55PM
When 8 bit files print fine but 16 bit files don't then it needs checking out. Are you using the 16 bit printing plug in Darren?

250184_1511996106.jpg

Philh04 Plus
13 2.0k United Kingdom
30 Nov 2017 8:39AM

Quote:When you open an image in Photoshop it's in edit mode, whether the image you open is somebody else's image from the web or one of your own

Of course Chris, I am not stupid... But a reference image needs to be printed with no further adjustments or editing...i.e open in PS go straight to print, any adjustment, levels,curves or whatever and the image eases to be a reference.

Darren... I am sure we will be able to sort out where your problem lies, even if Chris and I have to have a duel at dawn Tongue

Try this, which was hinted at earlier in the thread.

Take a reference file that has printed fine, they are usually sized to print at about A4, double the canvas, do nothing else whatsoever.

Now take one of your own files that has printed too dark, again do nothing apart from resize to print A4, copy and paste that onto your reference print file so they are side by side. (accept any dialogues about different bit depths etc.)

Your file should now have exactly the same attributes as the reference file that it is now beside, print this composite file. You only need to print it to A4 no need to print full size.

If your image now prints OK then Chris is right and you need to look at the 16 - 8 bit stuff.

If your image still comes out too dark but the reference is still fine then you need to look at your monitor brightness.

The important bit is not to do anything extra to either file.
30 Nov 2017 9:14AM
Not fighting you at dawn Phil. Might be a bit too dark. Midday? Tongue
30 Nov 2017 5:14PM
Hi everyone, I really appreciate all your help and I know that we are all passionate about getting it right. your comments and ideas have done two things, first, its got me to check through my workflow and second, its got me to check the other things such as configurations etc.

I think I have now solved it, from comments from everyone, it was clear that something else was going wrong so I decided last night to scrap it all, reinstall everything from scratch (something I do every now and again and see what happens after that.....loaded everything back (not much since its Photoshop and a few other editing tools, reinstalled the drivers and stuff and had another go....

went through y usual workflow and.........

voila!

picture came out spot on

23010_1512062056.jpg

so once again, thanks for getting me to check through my flow

30 Nov 2017 5:36PM
Going by your photo, the print is clearly darker, but glad you are happy
30 Nov 2017 5:41PM
at least its not what it was by a long long way!!!
Philh04 Plus
13 2.0k United Kingdom
30 Nov 2017 6:28PM
Great that you are sorted... the print will never match the monitor perfectly, particularly when viewed this way transmitted vs reflected light, maybe knock the monitor brightness down just a tad Tongue although I bet it will be closer when viewed under better light. My GrafiLite is invaluable as a controlled source..

At least Chris and I don't have to have a duel at midday Grin

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.