GB Sports Photographer & The Panasonic LUMIX S1

Guest Editor Awards.

Buffalo_Tom Plus
13 2.3k 9 Wales
13 Oct 2013 6:47PM
It seems to me that the Guest Editor Award System has gone completely out of control.
There have been at the last count 202 GEA's since the 1st of October.
I know it is up the the Guest Editor to nominate his/her pictures for an award but surely the numbers need to be refined a little.
Just my thoughts.
Tom.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

saltireblue Plus
9 9.7k 36 Norway
13 Oct 2013 6:55PM
Speaking personally I agree with you.
There should perhaps be a cap on the the number of images a GE can award.
I suggest you submit a report (bottom left of any page "Contact Support") and suggest a cap.

There are guidelines' for the GE, but at the moment it is open to the individual GE as to how they interpret them:

Quote:Rules are simple
Look through all the photos uploaded to the gallery in your week of appointment. With your special button provided click ones you think deserve an award - be selective only choose the very best and do not award friends / favourite genres unless they also genuinely deserve an award. The idea is your Awarded photos should be the very best pictures uploaded to ePHOTOzine - no bias please.

lawbert 12 1.8k 15 England
13 Oct 2013 7:30PM

Quote:
There have been at the last count 202 GEA's since the 1st of October.

Have you a number on the amount of images posted in that time period?

I personally think its good the GE's award a few more images than the HC and EC...

Its encouragement to the masses to improve their photography....

I personally dont want the same style of images from the same photographers attaining awards because they have carved a niche and nailed thier own style of photography and processing
Buffalo_Tom Plus
13 2.3k 9 Wales
13 Oct 2013 7:47PM
No I haven't counted the total images for the first two weeks in October.
I enjoy looking through the awarded files and there are many images really deserving of the acclaim.
I was looking for the EC and HC Images and they were being drowned by GEA's that is what highlighted the numbers.
Like I have said it is up to the Editor but surely the numbers issued with the award needs to be lowered to make the actual award mean something.
Agreed that it is encouragement to everyone and helps improve the standards.
Again it is just my opinion. I enjoy receiving the GEA as much as anyone else does for my work and trust that the image has struck a cord with the Editor.
I don't wish to submit a report just wanted to discuss.
Tom.
Dann 6 250
13 Oct 2013 7:48PM
I am a 'previous' e2 member (with a 9-year star as I recall)...

And I agree.
saltireblue Plus
9 9.7k 36 Norway
13 Oct 2013 7:50PM
It's not about the same style of images from the same photographers when it comes to the GEA'S, but it should be about the quality regardless of genre.

Quality, not quantity.
Pete Plus
18 18.8k 97 England
13 Oct 2013 7:54PM
One of the great things about the Guest editor role is that if you disagree with how awards are chosen you can change things by doing it yourself. Please volunteer to be guest editor for a week Smile
Hallie 6 167 United Kingdom
13 Oct 2013 8:00PM
Its one persons choice or preference. What's the problem?
RobboB Plus
12 133 United Kingdom
13 Oct 2013 8:09PM
Well, as this week's GE I stand by every single award given. In my view they are a clear step up from the 'norm' of submissions; each offering something distinctive and stand out. I have also made sure that I have awarded across subject matter.

I really don't see the point in limiting numbers as there would be no difference between the GEA and Pete's awards, in all likelihood. For this week these are my awards and the vast majority of people did not get one, I am comfortable with that.
Eastlands 8 760 4 Northern Ireland
13 Oct 2013 8:20PM
The whole point is that it is the Guest Editor's choice. I know that when I did a week as GE I decided before the start of the week to keep to a maximum of 5 awards per day over the week and it was difficult to restrict it to that number because of the high quality of images,.
Buffalo_Tom Plus
13 2.3k 9 Wales
13 Oct 2013 9:03PM
Pete..If I had the time to do it I would but working away from home through the week means my time is very limited. If things ease I will volunteer at some point. This is just my opinion.
Tom.
Hallie 6 167 United Kingdom
13 Oct 2013 10:01PM

Quote:The whole point is that it is the Guest Editor's choice. I know that when I did a week as GE I decided before the start of the week to keep to a maximum of 5 awards per day over the week and it was difficult to restrict it to that number because of the high quality of images,.

I don't really understand why you would limit yourself prior to the unexpected. Each to their own so I don't know why anyone would take issue with numbers or choice Smile
Phil_Morgan 13 182 1 Wales
13 Oct 2013 11:00PM
Unbelievable!!! All these years later and the same stock BS answer to any criticism of this formerly excellent site!! 'Why don't you be a guest editor for the week!!!' Um probably because its worthless? I'm off to stick knitting needles in my eyes just for fun!!
Nick_w Plus
12 4.3k 99 England
13 Oct 2013 11:19PM
When by definition you have different guest editors, all images that are awarded the badge are deemed of equal quality, whether the guest editor awards one image, or every single upload - how can this be right?

Awards should IMHO be to award excellence, not mediocrity.
keithh 15 25.5k 33 Wallis And Futuna
14 Oct 2013 12:03AM
Its my turn for a week starting tomorrow but surely each Guest Editor awards what they see as being excellent. I dontagree with a 33% of what is considered to be so and i doubt that anybody else will agee with 90% of my choices either.

Wink

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.