Save & earn with MPB; trade-in and buy pre-loved

Guest Editors

PhilT2 Plus
12 596 35 England
23 Jan 2014 1:37PM
Just read the last few posts on this topic and would hate to see the GE awards being dropped while ever there are members prepared to offer their services. I am an average hobby photographer and unlikely ever to receive many awards or even votes, come to that. The first award (after about 2.5 years on this site) was a GE and I can tell you that it was a great feeling. I was on a high for ages afterwards.
I agree entirely with Fazzer and RobboB
mrswoolybill Plus
15 3.4k 2543 United Kingdom
23 Jan 2014 4:00PM
I've been thinking a lot about this. I like the GE system a lot, as others have mentioned it provides a fresh pair of eyes each week, a different perspective. The results have varied from week to week, but that's all part of life's rich tapestry. It isn't a matter of life or death, it is a way of involving the membership.

Equally however, the site has obviously struggled at times to find volunteers; plus several times new members have signed up, been allocated a week - and then disappeared.

As I recall the system was more or less improvised at short notice in the first place. A member had been complaining loudly in the forums about Pete's choices, and threatening to flounce off. Pete called his bluff. 'OK, if you think you could do a better job, you're on next week... 'or words to that effect. The guy did the week, and then flounced off anyway.

It's probably not a bad thing to give the system a rest. But I hope the site will at some stage consider returning to the idea - maybe for one week a month, maybe with a limit on the number of GEAs that can be allocated for any single day, maybe with a requirement that the GE has been active on the site for a minimum length of time. Just suggestions...
tj Plus
19 2.2k England
23 Jan 2014 4:05PM
Thanks for all your comments and input so far Smile
23 Jan 2014 4:28PM
It would be a pity if the GE system were to lapse. It may need some minor adjustment but the basic concept is sound.
The problem of getting people to do the GE role for a week is no different from what happens in other hobbies, pastimes, sports etc. All amateur, voluntary groups seem to suffer the same problem, in my experience.
Keep the the GE system going.
ColleenA Plus
10 505 8 Australia
23 Jan 2014 8:21PM
I also agree with Fazzer and RobboB there are a lot of members who will never get HC or EA so GE's are important. It's also nice as each volunteer has a different view point. A good idea to limit awards given a day. Also HC awards and EA awards should be broken up into genres. So many natural photography gets overlooked for Digitally manipulated work.
Lastly.....We all spend hours behind our cameras then our laptops processing and finally hours a day on epz, we should all have a say in whether GE awards should stay or go. As Fazzer says we all like to strive for some recognition.
tomcat 17 6.4k 15 United Kingdom
23 Jan 2014 9:06PM
I also think it would be a shame if it disappeared

One tweak that I would like to see, is the GE being able to give one GE special award from his/her week's selections, with possibly a small prize
from de management
derekhansen 13 210 24 United Kingdom
23 Jan 2014 10:26PM
Firstly I have to question why quite fundemental subjects like Pete retiring, and the GE being potentially scrapped has to be hunted down in the forums. I am on the site most days but if they have been officially announced I certainly missed it.

I believe it would be a great shame if the GE went. I know that some GE's are better judges than others but that shouldn't matter. Its just nice to see a different persons opinion every week on what they see as exceptional images. I remember my first GEA and what a boost it gave me and my photography. Please EPZ team, dont underestimate what a positive effect these awards can have.

Finally can the EPZ team tell me if the apparent reduction in HC's and EC's awarded recently is deliberate or just a result of the transition after Pete's leaving?
23 Jan 2014 10:45PM

Quote:Firstly I have to question why quite fundemental subjects like Pete retiring, ................ has to be hunted down in the forums. I am on the site most days but if they have been officially announced I certainly missed it.

Maybe he wanted to sneak away quietly without any fuss. I can understand that.
derekhansen 13 210 24 United Kingdom
24 Jan 2014 12:48PM

Quote:Firstly I have to question why quite fundemental subjects like Pete retiring, ................ has to be hunted down in the forums. I am on the site most days but if they have been officially announced I certainly missed it.

Maybe he wanted to sneak away quietly without any fuss. I can understand that.

Possibly but dont the EPZ membership deserve more than that. Would it have been so difficult to have sent a PM to all the full members?
I have huge respect for what Pete did with and for this site and just think its a shame that his leaving was not more openly publicised.
keithh 18 25.8k 33 Wallis And Futuna
24 Jan 2014 1:30PM
Pete was never one for a fanfare....and he'd have gotten away with it if it wasn't for those pesky kids!
AnnChown 12 207 1 United Kingdom
24 Jan 2014 3:47PM
I too think it would be a shame if the GEAs disappeared, while fully understanding they are probably a pain to manage by epz's staff. However, as has been pointed out by fazzer, RobboB and Derek above, they do provide a fillip to those of us who don't get ECs and HCs on a regular basis. I like to see what awards the GE makes - although at times, as has been mentioned, they can suffer from nepotism or a certain amount of over-enthusiasm. Smile It would be lovely to have it back at some stage....

Quote:Pete was never one for a fanfare....and he'd have gotten away with it if it wasn't for those pesky kids!
???
SlowSong Plus
14 10.4k 30 England
24 Jan 2014 4:58PM
I'm all in favour of an Irish exit. Smile
keithh 18 25.8k 33 Wallis And Futuna
25 Jan 2014 3:04PM

Quote:they do provide a fillip to those of us who don't get ECs and HCs on a regular basis.

I dont think they were intended as a close but no cigar award
franken Plus
20 5.5k 4 United Kingdom
25 Jan 2014 3:23PM
I liked the guest editor awards and I'm sorry that due to health problems I could never guarantee being able to give it the attention that it needed on a particular week so I didn't volunteer for it.Sad

If it does appear again then perhaps limiting it to say 5 or 10 a day maximum would increase the quality of the awards?

Ken
AnnChown 12 207 1 United Kingdom
25 Jan 2014 5:16PM

Quote:they do provide a fillip to those of us who don't get ECs and HCs on a regular basis.
I dont think they were intended as a close but no cigar award

Agreed, but it's another person's view that gives the opportunity for the GEA.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.