Your chance to win a Nikon Z 50 Camera Kit!

Hackingtosh. Mac and PC

MrGoatsmilk 12 1.5k England
22 Jun 2014 11:53AM
Anyone had a go at building a Hackingtosh?

Me and a mate have been looking into it as we are both looking to upgrade our machines, looking at correct parts all the way through to the install procedure. All looks very straightforward, looking at a single i7 4770K and a 7 series GTX graphics card on an intel board, own choice of screens, a similar spec to a Mac Pro but a lot less 's and the ability to Dual boot with Windows and Mac OS. Best of both worlds in one is the idea.

I have been very much Windows and Linux (Ubuntu Dual booted) for years, however I do like the Mac OS as I've dipped my toe in the water at work with a Mac Pro, I like Windows and Mac for different reasons, I also don't want to pay out the cash for a 27" iMac laptop on a stick and don't fancy prizing it open to replace a HDD although I did come close recently but I managed to see past the shiny shiny case, it's just the OS I like.

I'm just wondering how anyone here finds their Hackingtosh on a day to day basis and in particular with photo and video editing.

Stuart

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

JJGEE 15 7.8k 18 England
22 Jun 2014 1:16PM
Never heard of a Hackintgosh

what is it ?
lobsterboy Plus
16 14.9k 13 United Kingdom
22 Jun 2014 1:27PM
Running OSX on non Apple hardware.
JJGEE 15 7.8k 18 England
22 Jun 2014 1:46PM

Quote:Running OSX on non Apple hardware.

How comes Apple allow that to be possible ?
I would have thought they had some wizzy code in their OS to stop people from doing just that !
redsnappa 17 2.0k United Kingdom
22 Jun 2014 2:05PM

Quote:How comes Apple allow that to be possible ?
I would have thought they had some wizzy code in their OS to stop people from doing just that !

It's because Macs use the pretty much use the same internal components as regular PCs.
lobsterboy Plus
16 14.9k 13 United Kingdom
22 Jun 2014 2:20PM
Yup there is nothing special about the insides of Macs - they are just a collection of off the shelf parts like every other PC. There is some debate about the licensing but I believe the wording is to the effect that it must be run on a machine with the apple logo on it, so people buy some apple stickers and stick them on any bit of hardware they like.

What you lose in support you gain in flexibility & cost savings.
GarethRobinson 13 1.0k 2 United Kingdom
22 Jun 2014 3:33PM
Hackintosh I had been running for 3 years, for photo editing trust me cs is quicker under windows. Im now back running on windows 8 and wont be going back to osx, the advantages of pure power on a pc do not translate to osx simple as, the os does not support the most up to date hardware pcs can have. Have a play, get over the fun part and then it will hit you smack in the face your wasting power on osx. Either way you will have a better system than apple can sell you.

Just buy the original osx install disc or download and your legal in uk.
MrGoatsmilk 12 1.5k England
22 Jun 2014 5:01PM

Quote:Hackintosh I had been running for 3 years, for photo editing trust me cs is quicker under windows. Im now back running on windows 8 and wont be going back to osx, the advantages of pure power on a pc do not translate to osx simple as, the os does not support the most up to date hardware pcs can have. Have a play, get over the fun part and then it will hit you smack in the face your wasting power on osx. Either way you will have a better system than apple can sell you.

Just buy the original osx install disc or download and your legal in uk.

Cheers Gareth

Thanks for letting me know that, this is why I won't be buying their hardware as as you say I'd have a decent Windows system should it not work out as desired or expected. Good to hear some real world experiences

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.