ADVERTISEMENT
The Societies' 2023 Photo Convention: Get FREE Trade Show Tickets

Halo after re-size and after sharpen.

Kris_Dutson 20 8.2k 1 England
2 Nov 2009 4:54PM
Whatever you do Unsharp Mask will produce halos, especially around edges twixt low and high contrast as that's how it works.

You can always try sweeping the history brush along the haloed edges for a quick fix. Just select the History brush, select the last action you did before sharpening in the History pallete - hopefully resizing - then brush away.
MikeTheMason 13 8 1
2 Nov 2009 5:13PM
Thank you to every one, lots for me to go through. My simple 'work flow' is becoming more complex with each post.

Quote:Try Easy Thumbnails - free download. Easy peasy!

RogBrown - best result so far with re-sizing halo.

Chromatic aberrations (lemmy) is also a good thought which I'll be looking into next.

What I've come up with is;
Open jpeg in Ps
Save as TIFF
Crop and save
Open in Easy Thumbnails and resize 800X800 at 100% quality.
Open in PS and re-save as TIFF (ET saves as jpeg)
Healing brush/ clone stamp
Noise - Neat Image plug-in
Adjustments - levels etc
Save as TIFF
Save as jpeg
Sharpen Tiff, save as jpeg and compare with previous jpeg. Repeat until happy.
Save final copy as jpeg.

Using Easy Thumbnails gives much better result with re-sizing than Photoshop which I find odd. Have posted a pic today of the Pelican I've been struggling with ("Brown on Blue" no need to vote but if you want to have a look). Along the leading edge of the top wing is where I've particularly had problems. Before I sharpened I made a selection away from the outline of the bird so the faint line (hard to see here admitedly) is all to do with size and not sharpening. Lemmy's chromatic aberration suggestion could be the proper term for what I've been experiencing.

Best wishes, Mike
MikeTheMason 13 8 1
2 Nov 2009 6:23PM
Then again, chromatic aberration might not be it. Had a go at opening in camera RAW and playing with the sliders and it didn't help.
lemmy 15 2.9k United Kingdom
2 Nov 2009 8:17PM
There's no halo effect on your pic apart from the jpeg artifacts.

To avoid, compress less.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.