Handheld metering when using polariser

Todd Stein 17 1
26 Sep 2001 10:57PM
I find it impossible to predict whether full polarisation needs 1 1/2, 2 or 2 1/2 stops extra, as that depends on the strength of the sunshine and the angle of the camera towards the sun. Any tips to get an accurate reading without having to detach the filter from the lens when using a handheld meter? [I am talking about the Fuji GSW 690 camera, so in-camera metering is not an option]. As most medium format cameras have no in-built meter, I can't be the only one, encountering this problem.
Thank you very much
TODD

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Pete Plus
18 18.8k 97 England
28 Sep 2001 12:14AM
When I have used a polariser on such cameras I allow 1.5 stops when the filter is at maximum strenght and one stop at the weakest. The best way to indicate this is to hold the filter up to your eye and rotate until it's on full strength. Then make a mark on the filter rim at the 12 o'clock position so you can see how close this is when using it on the camera. Some of the better polarising filters come with a white mark painted on the rim. Do other readers have other methods that can help Todd?
toddstein 17 1
4 Oct 2001 3:12PM
Thanks Peter, that was the method I was using myself. but as I said, depending on sunshine and angle to light, I had pictures underexposed up to 1 stop with this technique. so all I can do is take the filter off and meter through it, which seems a bit fiddly. Any suggestions?
LenShepherd 11 4.0k United Kingdom
1 Sep 2019 9:20AM
"Correct" exposure becomes more difficult unless the sun is directly over your shoulder - and on 24x36 format the lens angle of view is longer than about 35mm.

While a pol reduces exposure it does not do so wider than about 35mm for skies and about 28mm for reflections off vegetation and water.

While the transfer from a pol effect to even a minus effect across the frame is modestly gradual when only part of the frame is polarised, the 1.5/1 stop guidance primarily applies only when the entire frame is polarised.
JJGEE 14 7.6k 18 England
1 Sep 2019 9:53AM
@LenShepherd

How did you spot this topic, the previous comment was almost 18 years ago Wink

saltireblue Plus
9 9.7k 36 Norway
1 Sep 2019 9:54AM

Quote:@LenShepherd

...seems like it was only yesterday...Wink
LenShepherd 11 4.0k United Kingdom
1 Sep 2019 5:22PM

Quote:@LenShepherd

It seemed to up as a message notifying me of a reply.
I do not search for old threads - and did not check the thread date.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.