Save 15% On Excire Foto Software With Code: EXCIRE-EP

HARSH lesson learnt, backup!!! HELP please!!!

mini670 17 174 United Kingdom
3 Oct 2007 9:49PM
Hey,

Well today i learnt a harsh lesson, i must remember to back up my images to DVD incase the HDD fails. Today it did (BIG style)

PLEASE do back your files up reguraly!!! its a chore, but DO IT!!! I am almost in tears here ive lost a shed load of photos.

If anyone can suggest how to get them back then please read on as to what happened.

I know theres a complete cart load of threads on this subject, but i cant find owt like what has happened to my PC.

Yesterday i had been sorting my folders that are full of RAW files. I put them into folders called DVD_1, DVD_2, DVD_3 and so on, usually when i get a folder to around 4GB i back that folder up and make a new folder. Only of late ive taken a mega load of photos and my DVD_10 folder was approx 14GB. So i was splitting them up into 4GB chunks for back up.
Id done this and by then it was late so i had to go kip. Today i turned the PC on, OHHHH F**K!!! Black DOS screen with all the options to start windows (normal, safe blah de de dah), i selected `normal`, nope did`nt have it, got to the `welcome `splah` screen and then rebooted, and back as before.

I then decided not to try anyomore (ive had a similar problem before and nothing worked, but nothing was deleted).

So i unplug the drive and add another drive thats got another copy of XP on and plug the corrupt drive in as a `slave` drive.
starts up as normal, then goes onto check disk, "one of your drives needs to be check for consistency`" malarky.
I let it perforom check disk, it reels a huuuge amonut of text "deleting orphan segment" foor ages, then goes onto "recovering orphan segment". Ive had this before and afterwards everything was pretty much ok.

After about 40mins it finishes and boots into windows (still on the `good` drive). I check in explorer the save (knackered drive), goto my photos, oooooooooooh **** b*****d, f**k, b******s. `how comes theres only folders upto DVD_9, when there should be folders upto DVD_13.

I have PC inspector file recovery installed, but it wont work on the good drive `looking` at the knackered drive. Shutdown and swap drives round again, reboot, fire pc inspector up again (i have it installed to this drive also).

Managed to get some files back by clicking `find lost files` YAY got a few but only about 2 gigs worth, still 10gb missing. I then choose the `find lost data` option and it scanned the complete drive (took an age), i have files but they are simply clusters 1.4mb in size (think this is a standard, summaat to do with floppy disk sizes too i think, they are 1.4mb)
anyhow these files are completely useless. I can look through the many thousands and occasionally find a cluster that is part of a tif, well 1.4mb of a tif, if i get the first part of the file i get a small narrow strip of the image up at the top and nothing else. I presume that little strip is the 1.4mb and other 1.4mb clusters are needed to complete the image but which ones?
If you are still reading this, well good on ya, well done. If you have any tips or can suggest any other programs that are good to correct this sort of thing then id SUPER appriciate it.
MadTrace 17 268 United Kingdom
3 Oct 2007 10:03PM
This software worked a treat when a similar thing hapened to me, worth a try www.runtime.org
3 Oct 2007 10:17PM
thanks dude
BlindLemon 14 226
3 Oct 2007 10:47PM
I'm not sure if this is of any help, but the Guardian do a pc problem column called Ask Jack. In this page here he recommends some data recovery programs.

If that is 'nt quite what you need, it might be worth doing a search in the Guardians Technology section.
Good luck.
strawman 17 22.2k 16 United Kingdom
3 Oct 2007 10:57PM
I have used a utility called Handy Recovery to get data off a corrupted HD. It worked but it was very slow, and while it got 99% of the data I guess some was lost to the corruption.
MeanGreeny 16 3.7k England
4 Oct 2007 9:32AM
This won't help our friend Tom above but I'd like to sketch out how I do my backup.

I have RAID mirrored C drives and the RAW files sit in a subdirectory of 'MY PICTURES'.

I have a large internal drive to which - with one click - I can do an incremental backup of 'MY DOCUMENTS' so that only additions and deletions are carried out.

I have a 2.5 inch disk drive in a USB powered caddy which - with one click - I can do an incremental backup so that only additions and deletions are carried out. I use this caddy drive to sync to my laptop so that I can look/sort pictures when I am away from home.

So, with the minimum of effort my pictures are on 5 disk drives. Overkill maybe but it's also for practical purposes since work related data is also backed up similarly - but in the opposite direction from laptop to home PC. My clients wouldn't like it if I said that the last 3 months work was not available because a single disk drive went down.

I don't use DVDs because home produced ones can corrupt in as little as a year.

Disk drives are so cheap nowadays and there's the added bonus of almost continuous, incremental backup. We spend hundreds/thousands of pounds on photo gear yet we won't shell out for a decent UV filter or a backup disk drive ? Crazy. [Present company excepted Smile]
4 Oct 2007 3:13PM
nice one guys!!!

im off to try some programs later to hopefully recover my photographs.

MeanGreeny - im crapping my pants now at the thought of the DVD`s messing up. I have had some early days CDR`s mess up, but i thought they had it sorted now, but thinking of it afterall its only a `dye` that contains the data and not actual `valleys and peaks`.

Im moving out soon and will be getting a new PC, so i can get a raid system set up, as at the minute im on slow and crappy IDE, lol. Like you say its cheap nowadays per GB for HDD storage.
It sounds difficult to set up (is it?) the backup process, but i reakon thats what i need.

Not wanting to start a digital and film war. But it seems film is more safe. Ok yea something may happen to the film in camera, it could maybe be develloped incorrectly, but surely then the only thing that could happen is i loose them or they are stolen. Just seems a more physical thing rather than a cart load of 1`s and 0`s.
kokobrown 17 1.9k Scotland
4 Oct 2007 3:49PM
Whats this raid thingy all about then?

Im working off a sony viao laptop, about 60gig, but i dont store any raw files or anything on it. I store everything on a 400g maxtor external HD and some other stuff on an 80g pocket western digital HD.
should I be doing more than that...I think Id need hundreds of DVDs to back up all the stuff ive got on here!

L x
4 Oct 2007 4:27PM
Tom,

There's 2 or 3 freeware programs that work fine. One big backup to start and then all after that is just a few seconds because it's incremental. All one click and automatic.

MS SyncToy - Automated and good 98% of the time. Occasionally misses something out for no apparent reason.

Karen Kenworthys Replicator - Automated and pretty well 100% accurate. Very flexible but I have the odd problem with it on my PC - I've heard no bad reports from elsewhere

TreeComp - More manual but is 100% accurate and gives you control down to the finest detail.

If I were you I'd revisit your DVDs and get them all on a HDD. I've thrown plenty of 2 and 3 year old DVDs which have quietly gone bad - probably due in part to less than the perfect storage conditions required. Only certain dyes from the more expensive DVDs can be said to be guaranteed stable.

I don't know what the difference is between a commercial machine burning a DVD and a home PC burning one but there definitely is one
ISO400 14 183 United Kingdom
5 Oct 2007 5:44PM
Isn't there a recovery software package called "Don't Panic" ... or something oike taht.
Costs about 25 ... might be worth having a look at ?

HTH
7 Oct 2007 9:35AM
YAY,

got most of the photographs back now, thanks for your help.

tom
Coleslaw 16 13.4k 28 Wales
7 Oct 2007 10:04AM
So, what did you do to get the photos back?
11 Oct 2007 12:06PM
i used a program called easy recovery.
I had to put the HDD into an external USB caddy, as when it was connected to the IDE cable, easy recovery was saying it was only 128GB, for some reason.
Worked a treat with the caddy, i got most back, although theres still a few missing and some of the tiffs are unreadable due to some parsing error or something.
11 Oct 2007 12:33PM

Quote:Whats this raid thingy all about then?

Im working off a sony viao laptop, about 60gig, but i dont store any raw files or anything on it. I store everything on a 400g maxtor external HD and some other stuff on an 80g pocket western digital HD.
should I be doing more than that...I think Id need hundreds of DVDs to back up all the stuff ive got on here!

L x

I use RAID 1 on my C drive

RAID Explanation on Wiki
kokobrown 17 1.9k Scotland
11 Oct 2007 1:03PM
Oh yeah that makes sense now!

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.