Check out the new X-Rite ColorChecker Passport Photo 2 and be in with a chance of winning one!

Has anyone ditched their system?

Chris_L 5 5.0k United Kingdom
3 Sep 2018 4:26PM
Full credit for admitting your mistake and apologising Len.

I've been looking at the MTFs and the Z mount MTFs are impressive. The 55 Sony is not far behind (not quite sure how much of a difference the slightly different focal length makes).

Are you intending to buy one of these new bodies or wait and see what's round the corner?

I've a feeling that what's on offer so far is not enough to tempt existing Nikon users to invest in the new system just yet.

I think it will stop those who have a lot of Nikon gear from moving to Sony if or when they decide to go mirrorless.

It won't stop those who want to downsize from going to Fuji, Olympus, Panasonic etc

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

JJGEE 14 7.4k 18 England
3 Sep 2018 4:27PM

Quote:As AP makes money from selling hard copy magazines they delay making some items live on their web site.

Surely most of their money comes from advertising ?
And that it appears is becoming less these days when you see how many pages compared to say, 25 years ago !
Just Jas 17 26.3k 1 England
3 Sep 2018 4:28PM
So true!
LenShepherd 11 3.9k United Kingdom
3 Sep 2018 5:09PM

Quote:
Quote:As AP makes money from selling hard copy magazines they delay making some items live on their web site.

Surely most of their money comes from advertising ?

It does come from advertising using Google, BT, Facebook etc etc.
This does not change the simple fact that AP generally publishes hard copy before releasing information on the web.
3 Sep 2018 5:26PM

Quote: .....taken on a 3MP Fuji S602 well over a decade ago, and it's a good, clear photograph that could be printed rather larger if wanted.

Interesting - I used a S602Z 15 years ago until eventually the lens racking mechanism failed.

I then bought a 300D and later a 30D. I sold the 30D for a m4/3 system. However, good as it is, I found the OM5 to be too fiddly for my hands.

Having dug some old S602Z photos for a facebook site that covers the history of my village, I was quite surprised at the quality of these old images, even when filling my 24" monitor screen.

So I recently bought a second hand S602Z , which fits my hands perfectly (and my 83 year old back) and the quality is quite adequate for my current usage.
So - back to square one Grin

17 Dec 2018 9:56PM
I have recently sold off a very heavy bag of Pentax kit including 2x K3 with grips big and small lens and replaced the lot with a Sony RX10iv the best photographic move I've ever done, now it's pick up and go, as for image quality I am not a pixel counter the pics from it are superb and more than good enough for 95% of us, expensive yes, worth it yes,but no more sore shoulders and nothing left behind nuff said.
Franticsmurf 16 837 Wales
10 Feb 2019 12:01PM
I started off many years ago with film, and a Pentax K1000. Over the years (including my photography degree) my kits was the K1000 with an assortment of lenses, some distinctly dubious in IQ but dictated by a student budget. My back up body was a Chinon CE5 which, when my K1000 was stolen, became my main camera. When I decided to embrace digital, Pentax weren't moving in that direction and there was nothing on the horizon. Reluctantly, the whole kit (now mainly decent Pentax lenses) was part exchanged for a Fuji S3 and a couple of lenses. The Fuji took Nikon lenses and so I had to build a new kit up from scratch.

My system changes were based solely on my requirements as a photographer. Soon after I moved to digital, I realised that like all technology, the changes and 'improvements' come thick and fast and I had to avoid being tempted by the latest tweak. I decided that my criteria for upgrading would be based on image quality, and to that end I invested in better lenses rather than body upgrades. This stood me in good stead as by the time I decided to upgrade my Fuji S3, sensors had doubled their MP count but my lenses could cope.

I stuck with Fuji (then Nikon) until 2014, when I got a Fuji XPro 1, as I had started travelling and needed something with decent quality but a small body and, more importantly, small lenses. Gradually, I found the Fuji X system ticked all the boxes for me and so at the beginning of last year, I sold almost all of my Nikon kit to fund the transfer to Fuji X (and a trip to Morocco). One of the benefits of the mirrorless format is that with the appropriate adapters, I can use my old Nikon lenses and so I kept a few manual focus primes.

The only regret (and it may be clouded by the mists of time) is that I remember my Pentax 50mm f1.7 lens, the one that came with the K1000, as being the sharpest lens I have come across.

11 Feb 2019 2:49AM
An interesting narrative.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.