Save up to 360 on selected ZEISS lenses!

Has anyone got a teardrop caravan ?

MikeRC 14 3.6k United Kingdom
26 Jan 2016 2:42PM
Hi...till a year ago I owned a campervan, but for various reasons, not least shortage of cash, I sold it.
....now I'm considering buying a teardrop caravan or similar.

We only have a small car...Hyundai i20, actually it's my wife's car, I have the use of it some 6 times a year.
The last car I had, an XTrail, I had it 18 months and did less than 5000 miles, I only used it to tow a caravan,
so I've no wish to buy and run another large car which I will barely use....never mind the cost involved.

Hence...a teardrop caravan...cheap to buy/run, tow with the i20, fit in my garage alongside the Hyundai.
...might even persuade my wife to accompany me on occasions.

So...anybody got one, had one, know anybody who's got one ? ...any comments ?
.....I live in West Yorkshire so not convenient for a dealers.
....thanks....Mike

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

altitude50 15 16.5k United Kingdom
26 Jan 2016 4:38PM
What would put me off the 'Teardrop' caravan is cooking outside on the open air kitchen. Not practical in Northern Europe. That is if you are contemplating preparing your own meals.
If I was looking to buy a very small caravan now I would be considering the Go-Pod 2 berth.
26 Jan 2016 7:41PM
Just do B&B for the few times you are going to use it.
If motorhoming is what you used to do, a tiny caravan will be to much of a compromise.
Only my view

Steve
craggwildlifephotography Junior Member 11 137 1 United Kingdom
26 Jan 2016 7:44PM
Hi Mike
Personally Mike as altitude50 has mentioned the Teardrop caravan is cooking outside on the open air kitchen.

Not good in the UK climate..the Go-Pod 2 berth IMHO would be a far better option..

David
keithh 16 25.5k 33 Wallis And Futuna
26 Jan 2016 8:51PM
What about a trailer tent. More space in use and will fit in a garage or garden space.
andart 17 521 United Kingdom
27 Jan 2016 9:34AM
have a look at Eriba pop top caravans. Small, light, inside cooking
Snapper Plus
14 4.4k 3 Scotland
27 Jan 2016 11:26AM
Never heard of the Go-pod but just checked it out and there is a Practical Caravan review here. . The presenter looks like he can't quite squeeze in past the table, but at the same time is telling us how wonderful this thing is. It's also not cheap in my opinion, but each to their own I guess.
altitude50 15 16.5k United Kingdom
27 Jan 2016 1:38PM
Personally I do not think that a trailer that you have to crawl into and has no cooking or washing facilities inside fits the dictionary definition of 'caravan'. The Teardrop and similar style devices are just a trailer to sleep in. Wink
MikeRC 14 3.6k United Kingdom
27 Jan 2016 5:18PM
Thanks everyone...much appreciated but no real information...nobody got one ?
...I tried the B&B route at Chester, cost me over 100 for 2 nights and lost a day trying to find somewhere, I thought it'd be easy to find somewhere cheap on the outskirts of Chester.
Caravan Club have hundreds of first class sites almost any place...cost me 10 night.
...but you're right the teardrop is a bit small, but I doubt anything else would go in my garage....may have to stick with my tent Smile
.....cheers....Mike
justin c 16 5.0k 36 England
27 Jan 2016 6:02PM
I think what's needed here is a little thinking outside of the box.

Have you considered ONE OF THESE
Just a simple job to add a pair of wheels and a towing hitch.
Lie it down and you have a comfortable, ideally sized, weatherproof sleeping space. Stand it up and it takes up minimal storage space. Cheap to buy and run and they even come in a variety of colours. En-suite bathroom comes as standard.
HERE'S ONE being used by a happy camper.

Hope this helps Smile

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.