Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Has anyone met this snag?

my Sony A7 11 is giving me problems! Live view shuts down after 20+ RAW shots. If I depress the shutter button I can see the shot that was composed but without the live view display because of space consideration I m not able to check the view finder. Batteries are Ok and the camera operaates normally when first poweed up!

Thanks Charisma

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

banehawi Plus
13 1.8k 3840 Canada
12 Feb 2018 5:01PM
Are you using the fastest possible SD card?
I use a 16 GB 600x Lexar professional. Or sometimes a Lexar 16GB 300X454Mb/s

Tha nks charisma
should be 16GB 300X45 Mb/s
Apologies
banehawi Plus
13 1.8k 3840 Canada
12 Feb 2018 10:47PM
Thats a slow card, - try a faster one; the camera may be buffering waiting for the SD card. It would be good if other users with this camera commented. I use an 80mb/s card on a much slower camera.
StrayCat Plus
14 19.1k 3 Canada
13 Feb 2018 6:33AM
Did the camera operate differently before? What is the normal number of raw files, according to Sony, that it should be able to shoot before buffering? If it's something that just started happening, with the same cards, there could be something such as camera settings causing this. Have you done a search for that problem?
Tianshi_angie 3 1.8k England
13 Feb 2018 11:42AM
Do you format the card in camera each time you download the files? If not then the old files will not have been cleared even tho' you may have deleted them.
13 Feb 2018 12:11PM
Thank you every one who has taken their time to respond to my Query.

I have ordered a 95Mb/s card and I will retry then.

For Tianshi Angie Yes I always reformat the card in camera as soon as I am sure the images are backed up.
For stray cat I am certain it is not a settings problem. I have checked and rechecked just to be sure. I cant seem to find out the capacity before buffering, but it seems that the card speed is just not high enough shooting Raw. My shooting pattern seems to be that I shoot say 30 images each time
Tianshi_angie 3 1.8k England
13 Feb 2018 7:01PM
Do you mean Mb? I would have thought that you might need something in the region of at least 10Gb. I have a Sony 850 and the size of image is comparable. Although the specifications are 24.3 megapixels a raw file will take up around 35 Mb (that is the basic size that my raw files are). If you are also using live view then the camera has to produce an image for you to see which will be around 6Mb. I have a 10Gb card and have taken over 100 images at one sitting with no problems at all. This is the reason that I asked about formatting the memory card as it sounds as though the card is starting with data already on it. But if it is only Mb then you need a much larger starting point I think.
Philh04 Plus
12 1.5k United Kingdom
13 Feb 2018 7:19PM

Quote:Do you mean Mb?

I believe the OP s referring to the speed of the card, not the size, i.e. 95mb/s

Quote:If you are also using live view then the camera has to produce an image for you to see which will be around 6Mb

In live view the image on the screen is just that a live view... no image is created so it will not take up any space...

I am not familiar with Sony cameras, but, are you taking the 20 raw images in rapid succession or are they being recorded over a period of time? It could be that the sensor is reaching a point where it is overheating and therefore shuts down... Just a thought...

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.