Save 15% On Excire Foto Software With Code: EXCIRE-EP

Has anyone used ' vinyl polypropylene' backgrounds for studio work?

irish 17 227 Ireland
14 Feb 2014 2:19AM
Im looking at getting a vinyl polypropylene studio background, has any one used the polypropylene fabric ( 120 g/m2)

I was told by the company that the vinyl polypropylene is cheaper then vinyl backgrounds, Im not sue what the difference is....

I am looking at vinyl polypropylene in Black

Ta

Míchéal
brian1208 18 11.8k 12 United Kingdom
14 Feb 2014 9:07AM
I'm not even sure what "Vinyl Polypropylene" is as a material, sounds like a vinyl coating laid over a polypropylene fabric mesh? (In which case it should be pretty tough)

do you have a link to the product, some of us may be using it without knowing that we do so
thewilliam 13 6.1k
14 Feb 2014 10:22AM
These fabrics are used for heavy uses like the curtain-sides of trucks and bouncy castles. We use a heavier grade of fabric but that shouldn't make any difference.

One important point: you need a very substantial support because it's a lot heavier than seamless paper. The Bowens Expan isn't really up to the job so check out the all-metal background supports done by Studio Decor in Beaminster.
brian1208 18 11.8k 12 United Kingdom
14 Feb 2014 11:44AM

Quote:polypropylene fabric ( 120 g/m2)

just spotted this, it sounds vey light weight, less than most of the papers I use to print on so could be prone to creasing?
scottishphototours 17 2.6k 2
14 Feb 2014 3:21PM
I have samples in front of me.

The vinyl polyprop is like the kind of stuff they use for pull-up banners and the like - very flexible, tough and printable.

The heavier vinyl is ribbed with nylon mesh and so is very tough but flexible too. This is the stuff for lorry side curtains and the like.

I have used both - the polyprop for a printed background and the heavy duty for a studio floor and background and both were great, very durable. However, you can ONLY walk on the heavier stuff, the polyprop would puncture as it's not reinforced.

Hope this helps.

Andy

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.