WEX Deal: Free Grip With Panasonic LUMIX G100 Purchase

Has anyone used The Simon King Ultimate Wildlife Hide?

21 May 2017 7:34PM
I would appreciate any insight on this hide and any other high quality ones worth considering. I would also consider a bag hide, such as the ones sold by Wildlife Watching Supplies.

Regards

Steven

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

arhb 13 3.4k 68 United Kingdom
21 May 2017 10:05PM
I bought a chair hide several years back, which was quite cheap. It worked really well and remained intact through a lot of use for 2-3 yrs.
I now use it in my darkroom for transferring films into developing tanks, which also works well.
Only cost 60 or there abouts.
Like this:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Camo-Pop-Up-Chair-Hide-Quick-Erect-Decoying-Shooting-Photography-Tent-Waterproof-/192192614631
justin c 16 5.1k 36 England
21 May 2017 10:26PM
I think the Simon King one looks very good and very versatile.The low level window is a very welcome addition and I like the option to widen the viewing windows for a greater angle of view. I would certainly give it some serious consideration if I were in the market for a new one. 150 is at the top end of what I'd want to pay as I prefer to set a hide up the night before for a dawn start which is always a concern when leaving it unattended.
I've not used a bag hide but would prefer the Simon King one in preference as it would hide any movement and offers a greater degree of comfort and space. I find hide sessions can often last many hours and the ability to sit in comfort and eat and drink without being seen by the wildlife can be very important IMHO.

EDIT: I didn't realize the bag hides were also pop up designs. I was thinking of a sheet of fabric draped over your head which isn't ideal for hiding movement.
21 May 2017 10:53PM
Most of the time recently I have been using a Ghillie suit which gives you the freedom to move about from location to location without the need to carry a hide in a bag.It is amazing how close the birds come but dont let your neighbours see you in it!
Mine was 15-95 on web auction site

Check out my pics to see how close I get to my birds a lot taken with 200mm lens!

SteveSmile
21 May 2017 10:55PM
If its raining i'm in my pop up hide with built in seat and cup holder for my coffee
StrayCat 16 19.1k 3 Canada
22 May 2017 7:14AM
Sounds like a Volvo hide. I use a Honda.
Philh04 Plus
14 2.1k United Kingdom
22 May 2017 10:13AM
As Justin says at its current price it looks to be a bargain with good features, trouble is I have huge difficulty folding those things up again, other than that if I were you I would go for it. A bag hide is good as long as you combine it with other camo such as sitting or laying in the hedgerow for Hares etc, in the open they are not so good, I own and still use one in certain situations. For general use I use a chair hide.
22 May 2017 1:18PM

Quote:I bought a chair hide several years back, which was quite cheap. It worked really well and remained intact through a lot of use for 2-3 yrs.
I now use it in my darkroom for transferring films into developing tanks, which also works well.
Only cost 60 or there abouts.
Like this:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Camo-Pop-Up-Chair-Hide-Quick-Erect-Decoying-Shooting-Photography-Tent-Waterproof-/192192614631

Thank you for your response, I decided to purchase the chair hide from the eBay seller you linked above. I look forward to receiving and trying it out.
themak 6 1.0k Scotland
22 May 2017 1:20PM

Quote:Sounds like a Volvo hide.

I don't think visibility is very good out of those.
22 May 2017 1:52PM
Thank you to everyone for your responses. I will try out the chair hide and consider the larger Simon King hide for future.

My research into hides has been prompted by a recent sighting and photographing of a Red Fox. I have returned to the same spot in the hope of seeing and photographing it again, which I have managed to do so on both occasions. The second time around it saw me, stopped and ran off in the opposite direction. A green hat and camo snood doesn't really cut it! Also from the area I have been positioned there are fences, so i have to have my tripod fully extended, which doesn't help with concealment.

The area is marshy and for the most part very open, with limited options for concealment. Once the fence is crossed, there is a burn, then you are onto farmland, I will be going to consider the best place to put the hide.

It will be interesting to try out a portable hide for the first time.

Thank you all.

Steven

Philh04 Plus
14 2.1k United Kingdom
22 May 2017 2:13PM
A possibility is using peanuts (not salted) as a means to get it to stay in one place longer whilst it gets used to the hide, you do not want to put food out that they come to expect, but peanuts are quite safe and will provide a little treat every now and then. The mistake made by many is to feed regularly, providing them with a meal, a little treat every now and then should be fine.
22 May 2017 3:01PM

Quote:A possibility is using peanuts (not salted) as a means to get it to stay in one place longer whilst it gets used to the hide, you do not want to put food out that they come to expect, but peanuts are quite safe and will provide a little treat every now and then. The mistake made by many is to feed regularly, providing them with a meal, a little treat every now and then should be fine.

Thank you for your further input, all advice is appreciated.

Peanuts wouldn't be the first type of food that came to mind for a Fox. Why would you suggest peanuts, rather than a meat like raw chicken, which would be my first thought?

I understand what you mean by regular feeding. As with garden birds, once you start, you need continue to do so.
Philh04 Plus
14 2.1k United Kingdom
22 May 2017 3:32PM
Peanuts tend to satisfy a foxes 'sweet tooth' and cause no harm to the animals digestion, they do not digest fruit very well but peanuts will provide protein and oils to help. Also they cannot be carried away and as they are small take longer to 'hoover' up. Another good reason is that they like them Smile

A small treat every now and then will be fine for them as payment for 'posing' nicely.
22 May 2017 4:23PM
What if I cut raw chicken into a lot of tiny, minuscule pieces? Wink What you say makes perfect sense, thank you for your clarification. I will bare that tip in mind.

I would also appreciate your advice on a different photography matter, that has been on my mind for a while. For example, I am photographing a Roe Deer with a large background of sky. With exposure compensation set to 0, I get a nice exposure on the land and Deer, but the sky is over exposed. I may need -1.0 exposure compensation, so that the sky is correctly exposed. Would you favour a good exposure on the deer and surrounding land with no blown highlights there, with the knowledge that the sky will be overexposed?

Thank you.

Quote:Peanuts tend to satisfy a foxes 'sweet tooth' and cause no harm to the animals digestion, they do not digest fruit very well but peanuts will provide protein and oils to help. Also they cannot be carried away and as they are small take longer to 'hoover' up. Another good reason is that they like them Smile

A small treat every now and then will be fine for them as payment for 'posing' nicely.

Philh04 Plus
14 2.1k United Kingdom
22 May 2017 5:11PM
I would avoid chicken just in case it gives them the taste, particularly if there are chicken keepers in your area, they do like peanuts and you don't have to put that many down so a small bag will last for a while.

As for your question, several ways to achieve your aim, if the deer was stationary (highly unlikely) then combine two exposures, if light is good and you are able to, a circular polariser will darken the sky, finally simply enhancing the sky in post, with care a good result can be achieved. In all cases I would prefer the deer to be correctly exposed. However, if the sky is interesting and the form of the animal is clear, then a silhouette against that interesting sky would be my choice.

HTH

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.