Has anyones memory card ever actually failed?

mdpontin 16 6.0k Scotland
29 Dec 2005 4:47AM
I've never been sure what a "lifetime warranty" really means. Is it the lifetime of the purchaser, or the lifetime of the product? If it's the latter, it's rather meaningless!

j/k Wink

Doug

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

ChrisIW 14 180 United Kingdom
29 Dec 2005 5:22AM
Like you im not really sure, but I did have some computer memory fail outside the year once from them, and they replaced it.

Chris
p3asa 14 676 Scotland
10 Jan 2006 10:46AM
I had a PQI 1Gb card (compact flash) fail after I dropped it from a height of 2 foot.

It had a 5 year warranty so no problem with Ebuyer exchanging it. Luckily I had already uploaded my images.

Steven
joecool 14 350 United States
11 Aug 2007 1:18AM
Just a week ago, one of my 8GB Ritek - RIDATA 150x card failed during shooting on sunny day on a boat with my friends doing wake-bording. The camera got maybe few drops of water splash as well as the lens but nothing major really. I shot about 200 images when CF error apeeared and that was it for that day. Later i tried my best to recover data, but it seems it died - i was not even able to "see" it after connect it to a computer or reformat in the camera. Sent it for replacement. Want to mention that this is first incident that ever happened ( so far ) with all my experience with digital cameras.
RichardB 15 328 United Kingdom
11 Aug 2007 8:17AM
I had a Kingston 2Gb pro elite card fail - I had always bought Sandisk before, and I will in the future too.
agoreira 16 6.0k Wales
11 Aug 2007 10:32AM

Quote:i was not even able to "see" it after connect it to a computer or reformat in the camera.

I'd be very surprised if you were not able to recover your shots. I had a problem a while ago, and whilst I tried 3 free recovery programmes, none could recover the photos. I tried a paid programme, and it found them straight away (and loads more old ones).
The programme searches for the photos, finds them, then you have to pay to proceed. I think it cost me about 20. Not a problem with Sandisk though, it comes with it's own mini recovery disc.
ade_mcfade 16 15.2k 216 England
11 Aug 2007 10:44AM
I had a Viking 256Meg card fail on me about 3 years ago - I used some software that ou can download freely to recover the files

lost one image

I use whatever's dead cheap on 7 day shop with no issues these days.

if they screw up, I'll just use the software.

one of my 4Gb cards has been through the washing machine and works perfectly

a lot of brand snobbery with CF cards - they are just a place to store data, just like a shopping bag is a thing you use to carry groceries.

Unless you're shooting lots of shots each second and need fast cards, I'd get 3 cheap cards rather than 1 pricey one Smile
EPZSam 13 426 1 England
11 Aug 2007 10:59AM
Ade,

I agree with you!
I've got a total of 7GB of SD Memory - I've always bought the cheapest availible, and it's never come back to haunt me.
I do have one fast card (80x) which I use for Burst Mode, but other than that, they're all normal.

I do need to buy some more cards now, as when shooting motorsports you can fill a 2gb card before you can say bob's your uncle - and that's not in burst mode!

Cheers,

S
samfurlong 14 2.5k United Kingdom
11 Aug 2007 1:11PM
Microdrives were originally brought out when solid state memory was ridiculously expensive and the technology to make them much bigger than 128 / 256MB was in its infancy. Thus, the only way to get decent capacity for the ever increasing pixel count of digi cameras at a reasonable price was the microdrive. The trade off was that they were delicate and relatively slow to read / write.
Nowadays there is absolubtly no reason why any sane person would buy a microdrive over a flash card. If you are still using one then do yourself a favour and go but a 2gb CFcard for 15 and get rid of the MD.
I had a compatibility issue with lexar cf cards and canon 1DMKIIN's once. I had just changed to canon from nikon and was using the same cards as I didnt really see the point in changing cards. I kept getting corrupt images on the 2GB 80x lexar pro card. A friend advised me that it was better to use sandisk for canon cameras so i switched all my cards and no problems. Also, the lexar cards that were giving me grief are still working fine to this day in my friends nikons!

I currently use a combination of 1GB, 2GB and 4GB sandisk extreme III and extreme IV CF and SD cards. Total of about 15GB of cards I think. I generally buy from mymemory.co.uk as they are really cheap and they do a good range of stuff.
k13wjd 12 108
7 Oct 2008 4:00PM
ive just had a sandisk 4gb ex III card fail on me.

photo recovery see's it, and so does windows...but no data on it, cant write to it, cant format it, camera doesnt see it.
SamLS 14 237 United Kingdom
7 Oct 2008 5:46PM
I had a Kingston 1gb fail.... in an interesting way....

Everything worked perfectly but as you accessed the images (i.e. preview) they got more and more corrupted. So, as long as you didn't want to look at anything it was OK.

Sam

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.