Save 69% on inPixio Photo Studio 11 Ultimate (discount applied at checkout)

Have any readers been surcharged when buying from abroad?

thewilliam2 4 1.5k United Kingdom
10 Apr 2021 2:16PM
Have any readers been hit by unexpected surcharges when buying mail-order from abroad?

I've noticed that many Fleabay listings by private overseas sellers now carry a notice that 20% VAT will be added to the hammer-price. The AoL piece tells a few horror stories where customers have faced sometimes substantial surcharges and delays.

https://www.aol.co.uk/news/brexit-government-urged-clarify-cost-091114296.html
saltireblue Plus
10 11.8k 75 Norway
10 Apr 2021 2:32PM
It is the same in the other direction. I order goods from one source in the UK every 6 weeks or so, and suddenly the carrier they use - DHL - have introduced a 10 "Brexit charge" with no explanation as to what it is for. This is in addition to the 30 they charge for handling customs at import to Norway (Norwegian taxes at 25%)
10 Apr 2021 8:07PM
Not actually charged, because I didnt order, but Landsend shows one price for the UK and another, higher, price when I log in with my french address.
More concerning, one or two things I wanted to order for my house restoration project appear to be of UK origin even though I order them from a french website - and they are marked as no longer available.
saltireblue Plus
10 11.8k 75 Norway
10 Apr 2021 8:15PM

Quote:More concerning, one or two things I wanted to order for my house restoration project appear to be of UK origin even though I order them from a french website - and they are marked as no longer available.

Same here, in reverse. Several items I regularly order from the UK site I mentioned in my first post can no longer be delivered as they are routed from the UK to the EU (Belgium) and onto Norway. There are some new post-Brexit restrictions which make these items now unavailable for me!
bornstupix2 4 119 1 France
11 Apr 2021 11:20AM
I live in SW France.....for the past 15 years I have bought photo gear and house hold items on a regular basis from the UK....since brexit finally bit I have seen and heard sufficient horror stories from friends who have fallen foul of genuine legal surcharges and plain illegal charges, and had personal price quotes that have changed things totally......the brexit bonus has many ways to be counted but you can rest assured that you will not hear enough of the truth to make a correct decision either way....Frances brexit bonus despite covid has been me and many like me buying all I need here in France.....sad but true.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.