Have phones taken over from

thewilliam2 1 998
8 Nov 2018 10:52AM
Now that the front page of the EPZ site seems to be devoted to camera phones. Is "proper photography" reckoned to be dead?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

SlowSong Plus
10 7.8k 30 England
8 Nov 2018 11:42AM
I feel as if I've just been called a dinosaur just because I like to customise my front page. That's told me then.
JackAllTog Plus
9 5.3k 58 United Kingdom
8 Nov 2018 11:52AM
There are many phones being released at the moment and may being talked about in the general media so i'm sure phones will feature prominently at the moment.

I do try and use my mobile phone for photos whenever i don't have my 'proper' camera - i like to see how close i can get to a 'good' image on the phone.
However that generally makes me yearn for my main camera a bit more.

SS - I also tried to customise my home screen before and now its just a mess - I'm a messy dinosaur Grin.

p.s. and now i can't see where to uncustomise my screen Sad
thewilliam2 1 998
8 Nov 2018 12:22PM

Quote:I feel as if I've just been called a dinosaur just because I like to customise my front page. That's told me then.

I didn't see this front page as "dinosaur" but merely wondered whether it was the way of the future!
SlowSong Plus
10 7.8k 30 England
8 Nov 2018 12:43PM
Sorry William2, I wasn't alluding to yourself. Something on another thread that is now locked.
banehawi Plus
14 1.9k 3948 Canada
8 Nov 2018 1:31PM
The way of the future may not actually be phone cameras, but rather the approach they take to photography, computational photography, which they need to develop due to limitations of space, sensor size and lens size.

Its a very interesting area, and "proper" cameras will certainly also follow this approach to at least some extent. Mainly mirror-less cameras, as they are similar in some respects to phone cameras in the sense that their sensors can could light and image data all the time, not only when the shutter is pressed. Phone camera make good use of this fact in computational photography.
miptog 13 3.6k 62 United Kingdom
8 Nov 2018 3:51PM
brian1208 Plus
15 11.5k 12 United Kingdom
8 Nov 2018 5:15PM
not for me, I've just spent two days on our local beach shooting windsurfing action as the Autumn gales kick in, plenty of cameras of various descriptions in use but nary a sight of a phone camera

There is no doubt that the "Phone Camera" is the tool for the young, those who understand Instagram (and other such self-publicising tools) and I suppose EPZ have to work in this marketplace but cameras + photography are her for a for more years yet I reckon Wink
keith selmes 15 7.4k 1 United Kingdom
8 Nov 2018 7:33PM
I've been out and about a lot this year. I've been using two M43 cameras, with long and short zooms fitted, butI I also use my smartphone for quick snapshots uploaded to Facebook or Whatsapp. You don't have to be young to do that! I also used the phone where I wasn't sure if a camera would be allowed, and there wasn't anyone to ask.

Everwhere, I see people using smartphones. Occasionally someone has a compact camera to supplement the phone, or they have a tablet instead. Of the serious photographers I've spotted, and sometimes spoken to, all but one use a DSLR, and that one had a Hasselblad. I have not knowingly seen anyone else using micro four thirds, or film.

One caveat, some people using phones or tablets may be quite serious about their photography, and may be doing good work with them. But with my phone being about 5 years old and my camera about 10, my phone can't deliver anything like the image quality my cameras can. That's to say, the data from the small sensor isn't any where near as good.
8 Nov 2018 9:12PM

Quote:I feel as if I've just been called a dinosaur just because I like to customise my front page. That's told me then

With you on that, the new “clean” look is fine, but..there’s a few photos, then scrolling down there’s loads of adverts...then some more photos...

I’m struggling to find what I’m familiar with, a list of my groups on the left, latest forum comments in the middle etc...

Woulda thought that as a fee paying conscript at the least, I’d have a little more control over what my home page consisted of...(especially the bl99dy adverts mentioned above..)
SadSad

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.