Save 35% On A SmugMug Account Today!

Have you seen my Mojo?

Badger 18 4.7k 20 United Kingdom
9 Jul 2011 12:50AM
Has anybody else ever felt their creative spark missing or lost the urge to create images?

I've not been a regular participant here for a while, but over the last few months I feel I have lost that inner desire to create something special! Even to the extent, that I've considered cashing in on my equipment!
gary_d 13 576 13 Wales
9 Jul 2011 1:30AM
Don't get rid of the gear, I go through this from time to time but then find the interest again and the spark returns, when yours returns and it will at least your hard earned equipment will be waiting for you.

Regards. - gary
Pete 20 18.8k 97 England
9 Jul 2011 9:49AM
So many people have had this happen to them. As Gary says, the spark usually returns and then getting the gear again will be a major cost, so I'd hang fire. Because you were using it as a business element things get serious and the fun aspect changes - maybe consider taking photos for fun again?
sherlob Plus
15 3.2k 131 United Kingdom
9 Jul 2011 2:32PM
Matt,

Don't worry about it, and don't get rid of your gear (at least just yet).

I've been there a few times now, and I've come to view the feeling as a natural part of the rhythm of creativity. The first time I experienced it I worried that something was wrong, and I tried to force things by going out on shoots that I really wasn't motivated to do. I think the result was to protract the period by adding to it a crisis of self confidence - I didn't like the images I was taking (no surprise I didn't really want to take them in the first place). Now I just let things slide - this is my hobby - that means its about my getting enjoyment from it. So what if I don't pick up the camera for a couple of months...? I have found on the occasions where these natural lulls come - by not worrying about them I get my mojo back all the sooner (usually by getting an idea for a new project - perhaps something I haven't tried before).

Only get rid of your gear when you feel certain that you've had enough - although even then I'd be tempted to hang on to it...

All the best,

Adam
kaybee Plus
17 7.7k 26 Scotland
9 Jul 2011 6:38PM
Frequently.

Try knitting for a change .............. a week of trying to read those instruction manuals will have screaming to pick up a camera

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.