Don't Miss Out On Great WEX Offers - Find Out More

Have you switched to an Adobe Photoshop Creative Cloud Subscription?

21 Aug 2019 11:26AM
Ive started using Affinity software for my needs its as good as Photoshop and works with my Nikon raw files without having to upgrade software from Adobe.
It seems a very good package with more than enough versatility for my needs,

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

seahawk 12 1.3k United Kingdom
21 Aug 2019 11:35AM
I'm a Mac user so PSP is not an option and the Mac version of ACDSee is not as well-developed as the PC version. If it was I would give it serious consideration.
In answer to Railcam, I don't have problems with LR Classic, not being a subscriber, I was merely pointing out that numerous problems have been pointed out on the forums with the latest version (on both Mac and PC) and some bugs have been around for ages. I agree that the loss of the Malfunction in LR 6 is a bit of a pain but I can live without it for the time being.
I agree that LR is a great program and since the death of Aperture there is nothing to touch it for the hobby tog when it works, but I maintain that Adobe have got greedy and now have little incentive to fix the serious bugs.
Dave_Canon Plus
13 1.7k United Kingdom
21 Aug 2019 2:57PM

Quote:
I agree that LR is a great program and since the death of Aperture there is nothing to touch it for the hobby tog when it works, but I maintain that Adobe have got greedy and now have little incentive to fix the serious bugs.

I can see little evidence to support your statement generally. The only bug I am aware of was last November and there was an easy work around; it was also fixed by an update after a few weeks. I had feared that Adobe would act as you suggest but have been surprised at the many updates with some real improvements. If you look for Image editing problems, you will find many relating to almost all image editors.

However, I do suspect that Adobe give lower priority to solving Mac problems and do hear of these. Apple keep their code very closed so SW developers do have difficulties in interfacing with an Apple OS. This understandably does not look good from your point of view but is not a general reflection of how Adobe products work with Windows.

In my early days of image editing late 1990's, I used an Acorn RiscPC which in many respects was similar to a Mac. Eventually there were insufficient application developers (they mostly moved to Windows to make more money) and I had to move on. I would have chosen a Mac at that point but for various reasons I had to follow the Windows route.

Dave
JJGEE 15 7.7k 18 England
21 Aug 2019 3:08PM

Quote:I had feared that Adobe would act as you suggest but have been surprised at the many updates with some real improvements.

As an " outsider " only reading what Adobe are doing I get the impression, rightly or wrongly, that recent development has been biased more towards mobile versions & cloud services integration.

LR is quite mature now so probably not that easy to come up with fresh ideas for new features other than support for new cameras / lenses.

banehawi Plus
15 2.2k 4093 Canada
21 Aug 2019 7:59PM
I found a problem in general with Adobes attitude. I had already purchased CS6, and after trying the subscription for a year, they tried that price increase, than rolled it back. I cancelled and went to download the product I already bought, (it has been deleted by Adobe!)and was prevented by doing so unless I called them for "permission". After chatting with them, - they wanted to know why I cancelled, - then I was able to download it. Already have LR 6 desktop so I dont see a reason for subscription unless I was professional where I could recoup my costs.
JackAllTog Plus
11 5.8k 58 United Kingdom
22 Aug 2019 8:18PM
Ah yes Willie, I'd forgotten about that, having cs6 gave you no discount on CC. Grrrr.

Also good point about maturity, Adobe gives us Photoshop express for free on our phones (paid for by CC subscriptions). And are developing cloud services paid for again by CC subscriptions. But CC subscribers on one PC, what are they getting from their 100 each year?
Paul Morgan 18 19.4k 6 England
23 Aug 2019 3:22AM

Quote:Ah yes Willie, I'd forgotten about that, having cs6 gave you no discount on CC. Grrrr.

Also good point about maturity, Adobe gives us Photoshop express for free on our phones (paid for by CC subscriptions). And are developing cloud services paid for again by CC subscriptions. But CC subscribers on one PC, what are they getting from their 100 each year?

Stuart I found that CC pays for itself in the long run, what was the price of CS6, every 3 or 5 years it would need upgrading, then there are other software you might purchase and upgrade every so often to run alongside.

CC gives you quite a bit for a tenner a month, Lr, Br, Ps, a web site and other bits and pieces.
Tianshi_angie 5 2.9k England
24 Aug 2019 12:17PM
I seem to remember that I did get a discount for the first year of CC because I had CS6. I think that during the initial year I only paid just over 7.00 a month.
LenShepherd 12 4.1k United Kingdom
24 Aug 2019 9:05PM
I have not been able to complete the poll Sad

Why?

Because whoever set the questions appears not to understand how the Cloud subscription works!

If you pay the subscription you get PhotShop AND Lightroom - it is not a one or the other option Wink

Many have gone straight into the Cloud as, compared to the internet and phone charges, or Microsoft it is not particularly expensive.
The price includes regular new features and new camera updates.

Years ago when there was only then relatively primitive Photoshop at an RPS seminar run be Epson the question was asked - how many use PhotoShop?
95% raised their hand.
The next question was how many have a legitimate version?
Only 2 out of about 55 raised their hand.

These days some hang on with an old not updatable version of PhotoShop or Lightroom - and have to convert RAW images to PSD if they get a recently released camera.

I do not think many upgraded to the Cloud from a legitimate copy of PS - because there were not many legitimate copies around.

Compared to the old days have around 500 for a legitimate copy and maybe a 250 upgrade about every 2 years; under 10 a month for a now far superior product with Lightroom and free upgrades works out cheaper.
JJGEE 15 7.7k 18 England
24 Aug 2019 9:50PM

Quote:and have to convert RAW images to PSD if they get a recently released camera.

Are you certain it is PSD, I thought it was DNG that Adobe suggests ?
Jestertheclown 11 8.1k 252 England
24 Aug 2019 10:16PM

Quote:Are you certain it is PSD, I thought it was DNG that Adobe suggests ?

It is.

A slip of acronyms, I suspect.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.