Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Enter ePHOTOzine's Prize Draw, with fab gifts for everyone! Click Here

HD 1080p editing software

LensYews 7 1.3k 1 United Kingdom
5 Apr 2010 7:38PM
Hi,

I've been trying out the HD video on my dslr today. I don't have any video editing software on my PC (Running windows 7), can anyone recommend a good software package for editing HD 1080p 25fps video, with YouTube being the intended publication format?

Preferably a freeware, shareware, or trial version, as I can't see myself using this function all that often (too used to autofocus with Stills).

Steve

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

cameracat 12 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
5 Apr 2010 8:16PM
Roxio Creator 2010 has a full suite of all things video.

Not a freebie but there is a trial option.

There is also one by " Cyberlink " can't remember the name, But it is supposed to be HD 1080p compatible....!

Ah! Here it is " Power Director "....Linky thing ...Smile
gary_k 11 75 England
6 Apr 2010 11:46AM
I've played a little bit too, having just got a 7D. You can download Windows Live Movie Maker for free ( a sister app to Live/MSN Messenger), it offers basic editing features.

I can't vouch for 1080p, as I haven't tried it yet - because my telly's only 720p.
Carabosse Plus
13 40.4k 269 England
6 Apr 2010 12:05PM
You can get a trial version of Vegas Pro 9 from here .

I can confirm it works well with 1080p video. If you decide to use Vegas Pro 9 I can give you a few settings which I myself use.
6 Apr 2010 7:04PM
I hit a problem with movie maker in that it wouldn't read quicktime movies, and since I had an entire day's shoot in quicktime movies I wasn't going to upload and convert them all. I did run one through a converter just to test it out, but the converter failed.

I've had a look a quicktime pro, but that looks fairly limited, certainly nothing to rescue my early attempts (but then I expected to lose those - I suspect I'll need to set aside another day given what I've reviewed so far.)

Just downloading Vegas Pro 9 now, so hopefully that will be a bit more user friendly.
14 Apr 2010 12:20AM
I tried the Sony software but found that it had too high a learning curve, for what I was prepared to put into it. Instead I've bought Cyberlink's PowerDirector8 Ultra which is so user friendly and intuitive, I struggled with the Sony software for 3 evenings and got no where.

One evening with PowerDirector and I've got a finished film, and without once having to go looking for instructions. Sure its not as powerful as the Sony software, but it has everything I need.
Carabosse Plus
13 40.4k 269 England
14 Apr 2010 12:39AM
Interesting - it's always good to hear about user-friendly software. Smile
stomp 15 203 England
14 Apr 2010 6:44AM

Quote:I hit a problem with movie maker in that it wouldn't read quicktime movies, and since I had an entire day's shoot in quicktime movies I wasn't going to upload and convert them all. I did run one through a converter just to test it out, but the converter failed.

I've had a look a quicktime pro, but that looks fairly limited, certainly nothing to rescue my early attempts (but then I expected to lose those - I suspect I'll need to set aside another day given what I've reviewed so far.)

Just downloading Vegas Pro 9 now, so hopefully that will be a bit more user friendly.

Try making a copy of the file but renaming it with an .MP4 extension and it could work. Apparently the Quicktime file out of the camera is just an MP4 file under a different name.

BUT REMEMBER TO USE A COPY OF THE FILESmileSmile

Steve

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.