Amazon Kindle Unlimited Offer: 1-Month For FREE!

HDR Bible?

Mozzytheboy 10 710 4 United Kingdom
18 Jan 2015 8:15PM
I've printed out a few of my own HDR/Tone mapping creations and have enjoyed seeing them on the wall. It is a subject I personally very much enjoy.

My question is ... would anyone care to recommend an HDR book that I could buy to have a good read up on techniques et al?

Many thanks

Mozzy
Overread 13 4.1k 19 England
19 Jan 2015 12:15AM
I can't recommend any books or websites nor articles, but it might help if you outline what it is about HDR that you like and do with it. It's a very variable method and the process itself is used to give effects from those so subtle you'll hardly notice all the way up to full blown "cartoony" effects.

Now of course breadth of understanding helps; so I'd certainly not advise avoiding any books that detail methods or approaches that differ from your own; only to say that it might help provide focus and some idea as to what you're really after which might give some prompting to others to think about artists who use similar methods in their work which can be recommended.
19 Jan 2015 9:26AM
Thank you for your response.

When I first started on an odd HDR image, I probably fell into the stupid trap of relying on default effects then trying to rectify after .. which is daft. I've recently upgraded to Photomatix Pro 5.1 and really like the additional adjustments one can make. Eventually I have therefore come full circle and use most effects or adjustment minimally; unless I am simply wishing to create something daft for my own pleasure.

Overall I am very happy with the results I have achieved using a more thorough change of an image, rather than simply relying on contrast colour sat and brightness. I feel however I can do a lot better with conversions to HDR; be it with one or two images even several to end up processing.

I use PSE13 and PP5, these are all I have to work with and truthfully I am now quite pleased. Agreed it is only an odd image, or one shot purposely with the intention of eventual tone-mapping that is suitable. Generally I take a picture then make whatever adjustment in RAW through PSE and then save to use. Once in a while a series or one image shouts out to be HDR.

Not I agree to everyone's taste; some are so minimally adjusted in the HDR manner you'd have a job to ever know. I prefer lowering colour saturation with PP5; in PSE13 I find adjusting colour saturation a bit vague.

Anyway; I've rambled as per usual; I'd like a book that I can learn more about HDR images and just generally research the subject.

Mozzy
MikeA 16 1.3k England
19 Jan 2015 9:32AM
Not a Bible but maybe an interesting article: L Landscapes
19 Jan 2015 9:55AM
Thank you Mike

Mozzy
hollkj 16 217 United Kingdom
20 Jan 2015 12:49PM
Stuck In Customs is a great site dedicated to HDR.

Kevin.
Dave_Canon 15 2.0k United Kingdom
20 Jan 2015 1:41PM
I bought "Complete Guide to High Dynamic Range" by Ferrell McCollough which was very good, The only thing is that I think the book was published some years ago so may not have all the latest information of HDR editors available now. However, all the fundamentals of HDR and how to photograph for HDR will be the same. It is only 15.99 from Amazon. However, if you look it up on Amazon they suggest other HDR books such as "The Complete Guide to Creating High Dynamic Range Images with your Digital SLR" by David Nightingale which is more recent but I have no first hand experience with this book.

Dave
xp1 13 6 United Kingdom
27 Jan 2015 9:39AM
Hi Mozzy,

I have the book titled The HDR BOOK Unlocking the Secrets. Covers everything you need. It's in PDF so if you want it just message me. You can have it for 5. the link to the Amazon page is below for you to check it out.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-HDR-Book-Post-Processing-Techniques/dp/0321776895

Steve
Jestertheclown 12 8.5k 253 England
27 Jan 2015 5:15PM

Quote:You can have it for 5.

You drive a hard bargain!

Actually, although I don't usually much care for HRD, I can appreciate that, done properly, it makes quite a difference, so, in that respect, I'd quite like a look at the book. I just don't want to pay for it!

Also, where did you find a Pdf. version? The page that that link opens just offers Kindle and paperback versions.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.