Save 17% On All Regatta Jackets With Code: JACKETS17

HDR is dead!

ade_mcfade 17 15.2k 216 England
28 May 2015 2:23PM
... Or is it?

I use it all the time, commercially and for fun - but am I wasting my time?

I recorded an edit of a cathedral "single shot" and was amazed at how much detail you could eek out of those shadows - even at a pretty high ISO

See what you think.... and how long do you think it'll be before bracketing for HDR will be a distant memory?

HDR IS DEAD BLOG POST
Chris_L 7 5.5k United Kingdom
28 May 2015 2:25PM
I think HDR is as alive as using forums for SEO and to drive traffic to a blog as well as click bait titles Wink
whipspeed 16 4.2k 22 United Kingdom
28 May 2015 2:58PM
I used it yesterday for some interior shots for work Smile
28 May 2015 3:05PM
I've been doing a hotel chain using it - does make you wonder when you can drag so much detail out of RAW without it degrading horrendously!

28 May 2015 3:07PM
Know what you mean, some shots, I can get the quality from the RAW file, especially with some modern white interior properties & then if needed, I can just layer the view from the window into the shot. But some older properties can be a bugger.
ade123 8 285 1 United Kingdom
28 May 2015 3:11PM
I am just starting to learn HDR and find it fascinating
28 May 2015 3:19PM
Yeah - some of the dark hotel rooms with bright windows can be a nightmare - I try to persuade the client to have them closed, usually doing both Wink

Doubles the shots, but they always want them open - then see the closed versions, and they are far sexier

some rooms I do 5 shots, each 2 stops apart.... they are rather contrasty Wink
28 May 2015 3:24PM
Yes, bedrooms look good with nice curtains closed and warm light. House I was doing yesterday unfortunately was quite clinical, but not in a terribly stylish way, just the plain look & had vertical blinds, also the best views were from upstairs.
I've not tried 2 stops apart, for most I do 5 at 1 stop apart. I only get involved if we need a brochure, most of the houses, they just take their little compact cameras out with them, like most agents.
Just about to read your blog & watch video with a cuppa now.
28 May 2015 3:31PM
I set the camera up to do 5 at a newcastle hotel - was mega bright outside, the results of the extra range were well worth it.

so I've done it ever since, clients love it, though my hard drive is taking a pounding lol - the TIFFS are 125 meg each, 5 per shot, usually 100-200 of those....

enjoy the video - it's just a start to finish edit of a cathedral, lots of other tips, not just HDR
28 May 2015 3:37PM
I'd like to see those, are they on your site? Or have you got a link to the hotel? I've just bought another hard drive. A cloud one so we can save wherever we are in the house, 3TB for 99, not too bad.
Fma7 6 1.1k United Kingdom
28 May 2015 4:39PM

Quote:at a newcastle hotel - was mega bright outside

Are you sure, I live there and it's not something I recognise Smile
RayBeck 15 43 United Kingdom
28 May 2015 6:17PM
I hope HDR isn't dead but I hate the fact that judges will love a totally unrealistic image made of a girl floating on a cloud with the Taj Mahal drifting past her but say HDR is too much manipulation. Sometimes it does go too far for some tastes but I don't feel it deserves the slagging it gets.
28 May 2015 6:46PM
Enjoyed the video Ade, I've not got lightroom, but it's given me some tips for RAW processing in CS5, thank you.

Ray, I've seen some local judges award HDR that is overdone to the point of making your eyes bleed. It is a great tool used well, but like everything you have have too much of a good thing.
MGJ 12 372 6
28 May 2015 6:59PM
I did see a video of HDR done very well- the finished result didn't look "aggressive" at all. It looked very smoothly done and totally real and not supersaturated. Sometimes they look oversharp too - or for my tastes. Any pointers, or is this not the right forum for that.
28 May 2015 7:17PM
I think a lot of people just stick to the presets in photomatix or NIK effex, the key is to use the sliders and adjust to your own taste. I usually use 5 shots 1 stop apart from -2 to +2.

This is one of mine that I've tried to make subtle. The windows were really bright and the side of the organ very shadowed, so wanted to balance it out.

23181_1432837008.jpg

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.