Amazon Kindle Unlimited Offer: 1-Month For FREE!

Healing brush leaving a black smudge in PSE 8?

trivets12 16 1.3k
27 Jun 2011 12:23PM
I don't often do retouching but tried the healing brush in Elements 8, as per the instruction, but it leaves a dark smudge over the area I've brushed? What could be causing this? I sampled a light area on the cheek and then just used the brush over a few little wrinkles under the eye but couldn't get a good result. Is there something else I need to check in the settings?
Thanks
Trudy
mikehit 11 8.0k 13 United Kingdom
27 Jun 2011 12:30PM
I think that what happens you select the area you want to sample from and then start to brush over the area you want to cover (under the eye). As you move the bush, the sample area moves with it so if the sample area moves onto a dark colour this will copied to the area you are brushing.
Does that make sense?
JackAllTog Plus
11 6.2k 58 United Kingdom
27 Jun 2011 1:20PM
I've also PSE8 and also seen occasional dark smudges appear, it seems to find a new sample point now and again, especially when getting close to colour area edges. I'll reset the sample point with alt select and it will still give me black marks.
I wonder if its the blending mode or something else?
In the end i've sometimes resorted to copying a section on skin on to a new layer and overlayed it on the required area.
Kris_Dutson 18 8.2k 1 England
27 Jun 2011 1:33PM
Sounds to me like your brush maybe too big and it's painting over the wrinkles (skin tone) and the edge of the eye ? which I'm assuming will be a lot darker, and the average between the two is too great giving you a mid way blur. Try reducing the size of the brush (tap the left [ key to make it smaller and the ] key to make it larger) and paint over just the wrinkles. Also make sure that where you are sampling from doesn't drift into a darker area too when you paint. Also use a soft brush, I mostly use the soft airbrush so that it all blends in seamlessly.

Not that I do portraits but the same thing can happen when cleaning dust spots form skies.
trivets12 16 1.3k
27 Jun 2011 2:00PM
Thanks for your replies. I'll give those suggestions a go.
Trudy
Stuarty 16 122 England
7 Jul 2011 6:58PM
I use PSE4 and usually employ Replace to cover the area, then resample the appropriate area(s) and paint over with the Normal setting when cloning areas with large differences in hue.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.