Amazon Music Unlimited Offer: 1-Month For FREE!

Hello? What's happened to Healthy Debate?

jondf 14 2.8k
25 Sep 2016 8:31AM

Quote:If all we discussed here was photography it could become rather dull
4k78l 4 278 1 New Caledonia
25 Sep 2016 8:53AM
If you are so concerned about it, why don't you post a valid post where we can debate something according to this sub-forum?
JJGEE 16 7.9k 18 England
25 Sep 2016 9:16AM
I guess it is because most of the " healthy " debaters of yesteryear do not stop by ePHOTOzine these days.

SlowSong Plus
12 9.4k 30 England
25 Sep 2016 10:29AM
Quite a few of the Healthy Debates got shut down by them upstairs because they got too heated, so now people just don't bother.
Ross_D 6 841 1 United Kingdom
25 Sep 2016 12:01PM

Quote:I guess it is because most of the " healthy " debaters of yesteryear do not stop by ePHOTOzine these days.

I think this is quite true ....... I originally joined ePz in 2004 (this is my second time around !!) and I have to say the forum was alive with debates on a wide range of topics. I seem to remember ' jpeg V RAW ' and 'film v digital' were topics which always got hotly debated probably because newcomers to digital photography (like me) didn't fully understand !

That said, ePz members have a wide range of other interests alongside photography (I play guitar) and would expect to see a wide range of topics discussed.

Quote:Quite a few of the Healthy Debates got shut down by them upstairs because they got too heated

LOL...... I havn't seen the infamous phrase ' This topic is now locked' for a long time !!
Carabosse 17 41.5k 270 England
25 Sep 2016 12:16PM
Most internet forums are a lot quieter than they used to be and some have closed down. They are a bit "yesterday".

Social media is where all the action is these days - Twitter, Facebook, Snapchat, Instagram, Pinterest, Google+, Tumblr etc etc......

That is where the debate (healthy and unhealthy! Tongue) goes on these days.
JJGEE 16 7.9k 18 England
25 Sep 2016 1:25PM

Quote:Most internet forums are a lot quieter than they used to be and some have closed down.

Phase One's Capture One Pro forums are increasingly lively with converts from Lightroom ( including myself ) / Aperture and people complaining that their latest cameras are not yet supported ( even though Adobe does not either ! )

petebfrance 9 2.9k France
25 Sep 2016 1:29PM
I must admit it's much quieter now, some of those debates got really heated. Not sure it's a good thing though as I learnt quite a lot from them and of course they could be very entertaining at times. I reckon at least some have moved over to the dark side (which now has a white option) but is still as bonkers as ever.
25 Sep 2016 2:13PM

Quote: I havn't seen the infamous phrase ' This topic is now locked' for a long time !!
I looked and if I have it correct it was David's thread about getting rid of the Healthy Debate section was the last one that was locked, I dont think the EU Referendum one got locked.
davidburleson 14 3.0k 3 United Kingdom
26 Sep 2016 8:10AM
CB is likely to have hit the nail on the head. Most off topic debate these days is discussed on off-topic sites like facebook. There isn't anything stopping anyone starting a healthy debate forum, as long as it's healthy and not a heated argument which eventually turns into personal attacks (which has occurred in the past).
lemmy 13 2.9k United Kingdom
26 Sep 2016 11:02AM
The problem with the social media is that it is full of people not so much giving their opinions and debating them as trying to tell other people what to think. At school we'd debate things but we'd be told which side to argue for. So, since I wanted to stay in the EU, I'd have been told to argue the case for coming out.

The lesson we get now, from politicians and people like the Question Time audience is that when you disagree with someone, you talk over them, shout them down, jeer loudly or insult them. Or like JJGEE, slip a personal hobby horse under the radar Wink

Carabosse 17 41.5k 270 England
26 Sep 2016 11:50AM

Quote:At school we'd debate things but we'd be told which side to argue for. So, since I wanted to stay in the EU, I'd have been told to argue the case for coming out.

It rather saddens me when people say: "I like X because he/she agrees with my views". And that from folks who left school a few decades ago. They don't even have the excuse of youth!

The ability to handle views opposed to one's own sharpens and clarifies thinking.
saltireblue Plus
10 11.4k 69 Norway
26 Sep 2016 12:05PM

Quote:At school we'd debate things but we'd be told which side to argue for. So, since I wanted to stay in the EU, I'd have been told to argue the case for coming out.

No better way of getting people to have to see and understand the opposite view!
thewilliam 12 6.1k
26 Sep 2016 2:11PM

Quote: At school we'd debate things but we'd be told which side to argue for. So, since I wanted to stay in the EU, I'd have been told to argue the case for coming out.
Quote:

This seems like "proper" education and is very useful for anybody who's being equipped to enter one of the professions, especially law. A defence counsel has to argue his/her client's innocence, even if convinced that the client is actually guilty.

All too often, these days, too many people just accept what they read in their chosen newspaper because it means that they don't have to bother to think for themselves.

silverfoxey 11 17 2 United Kingdom
30 Sep 2016 5:03PM
Quote: At school we'd debate things but we'd to told what side to argue for. So, Since I wanted to stay in the EU, I'd be told to argue the case for coming out.

Well I always have thought the opposite that I have a mind of my own, and I will Vote for what I believe in. And that was for leaving, but no, the argument still goes on, as some don't like the result, including the media, and want another Vote, as they all expected us to be bullied to stay.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.