Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Christmas Prize Draw 2017

Hello

10 Oct 2017 8:28PM
Hello from Edinburgh everyone,

I'm pretty much an enthusiast level photographer who spends more time drawing up lists of gear to buy (and lists of ways to get the money to buy it) than on actually using my cameras.

I like landscape and flower photography, try portraits now and then when people have patience, and try to find a balance between medium format film, 35mm film and DSLR. I do like black and white but can't bring myself to sell my EOS 1V because colour film just looks so nice. And colour in 120 is even nicer, and that means buying...I feel a list coming on.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

JackAllTog Plus
8 4.9k 58 United Kingdom
10 Oct 2017 10:35PM
Hi Euan,

Welcome to ePhotozine, sounds like you already have a good list of cameras to take photos with; And live in a super location to use them. I look forward to your first few uploads.
You'll get lots of 'advice' on the forums on how to spend you money and also on how not to too Smile

Its good to have a list of things to look forward to, for me its lenses at the moment.
If your lists of how to get the money for new toys are successful i'd love to know more Wink

Anyway, welcome again, i hope you have fun here.

Kind Regards,
Stuart
10 Oct 2017 10:51PM
Hi Stuart, and thanks for the kind welcome.

I'll upload some stuff over the next few days. At the moment it will be digital since there is this enormous pile of negative sleeves waiting for me to accept that my scanner is good enough and I can cross the V850 off the list...

I'm afraid the money lists never work, this is why my latest kit purchase was a Cosina C1 off the bay.
pablophotographer 6 818 309
10 Oct 2017 11:28PM
Welcome from me Euan...
I would advise you to use whatever you have available, if the lenses are compatible between your film SLRs and your DSLRs even better...
Over the years I used TLR, SLR, pocket cameras and recently digital and my phone.
A loaf of bread with a thick crust tastes the same even if you cut it with your knife or your bare hands. Enjoy taking pictures and stop worrying about the lists.
pablophotographer
saltireblue Plus
7 7.4k 33 United Kingdom
11 Oct 2017 7:22AM
Greetings and welcome, Euan. Enjoy the site and all it has to offer - which is a lot!
We'ew a friendly crowd in general - just a couple of rowdy youngstersTongue and the neighbours are quiet.
Shout if there's anything you wonder about and you'll get the help you need.

BTW...we must compare lists of how to get hold of money sometime!Smile I also have one called 'how to disguise new gear so the wife won't notice it is new...'
11 Oct 2017 8:29PM

Quote: 'how to disguise new gear so the wife won't notice it is new...'

Fortunately most DSLRs are...kinda...black, with some kind of tube/lens..thing...sticking out the front..any other gadgets are best introduced quite openly, without a fanfare...."Is that something new? I've not seen it before..."

a casual, sympathetic shake of the head...and.."It's been in the drawer for years dear, never had cause to use it/them until now..."

....sometimes works...

Still interested in the list of "how to get the money" though...(as long as it's legal...ish...).

Welcome to the madhouse..Wink
11 Oct 2017 8:32PM
It's really important to ask close friends to supervise the sale of our kit if we die prematurely. We wouldn't want our widow to sell it for what she thinks it's worth!
11 Oct 2017 8:57PM

Quote:We wouldn't want our widow to sell it for what she thinks it's worth!

Or for what we told her it cost...
11 Oct 2017 9:20PM

Quote:You'll get lots of 'advice' on the forums on how to spend you money

Forgot that...and widgets/accessories/stuff that people mention....that you realise (think) you really need too...just see my collection of tripods and camera bags...
11 Oct 2017 9:40PM
We've all bought "essential" stuff we don't need. I once bought one of those Lenspen cleaning things, and there is STILL graphite dust on the front of a couple of my lenses. Seriously, you can't remove this by any means short of thermonuclear strike, and even then I wouldn't bet on it.

And don't talk to me about UV filters...unless you want to buy ten. Really cheap...
SteveCharles 15 2.3k 18 England
12 Oct 2017 10:10AM
MF, 35mm and DSLR make a good rounded system, you can do anything. And if you have a macro lens you can use your DSLR as a film scanner, so the whole thing becomes symbiotic. I use a Nikon D800 and F100, which share lenses and control layout, and the former can be used to scan the negs taken with the latter (as well from other 35mm & MF cameras).
13 Oct 2017 4:17PM
Thank you all for your friendly welcomes.

I'm enjoying the site already and look forward to much more.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.