Get 20% Off PortraitPro 22 With Our Exclusive Code

hello i am new to all this

Gid 11 2
12 Jun 2010 1:45PM
Hi, i just wanted to say hello. I am Gill 41 yrs old and live in wiltshire. i have 2 kids and 4 cats. I was given my mothers camera after she died in dec 09 and really enjoy using it. i have quite and artistic flare and trying to show this in my photography. i have no software to improve photos so all my photos at the moment are raw material as taken. if anyone can recommend a good photo software thats not too pricey that could help.
gill
xxx
spaceman 17 5.3k 3 Wales
12 Jun 2010 1:52PM
I don't know much about digital photography but I've heard good things about a free photo software product called the Gimp.
spaceman 17 5.3k 3 Wales
12 Jun 2010 2:07PM
Oh, and welcome to epz Smile
Pete 20 18.8k 97 England
12 Jun 2010 2:07PM
Welccme Gill, yes Gimp is a good free one...and has many of the features of Photoshop. We've created a range of tutorials using Gimp too so you can follow those step by step.
keith selmes 18 7.4k 1 United Kingdom
12 Jun 2010 5:33PM
all i'm getting there is a dead link for a buyers guide
12 Jun 2010 5:39PM
Ewanneil 11 1.1k 2 Scotland
12 Jun 2010 6:57PM
There are a great many free programs out there and you can access most via a website called Cnet. Gimp is very good but if you are new to image editing then there are other more basic packages which may be of some use early on. Search on the Cnet website for the following image editors:-

1. PaintDotNet
2. Photoscape
3. PhotoFiltre - this is a good, basic piece of software
4. Picassa

All of the above are very good and will do most of what you are likely to want to do but as you get more experienced you may want to consider

5. Photo Pos Pro which for a piece of free software is absolutely excellent with a wide range of high-end tools
6. Gimp - as above

Cnet Link

Hope this helps and welcome to EPZ
devlin 11 653 39 India
12 Jun 2010 7:06PM
welcome Gill Smile
Gid 11 2
12 Jun 2010 10:15PM
oh wow thanks guys n girls, thought id have to fork out couple hundred quid. cant wait to try it out. thanks for your advice and kind welcomes. x
13 Jun 2010 10:03AM
The thing I've found awkward with Gimp is image browsing. Doesn't seem to have as good a facility as other packages.
When I use it, I've usually got something else open for finding images. Something Picasa is good at.
There's supposed to be a good browser plug in for Linux, but I don't think there is for Windows.
davey_griffo 12 213 165 England
13 Jun 2010 12:10PM
Even if you do decide to go for photoshop, it needn't cost hundreds. You can get the Elements version for around 60.00 from Amazon. It's effectively a cut down version of full photoshop, that includes only the essentials, so is a) cheaper, and b) simpler to use. You don't get bogged down in a lot of features you may never use.

I started with Paint Shop Pro, but made the change as most magazines & books use PS for their tutorials. You'll find a lot more help for PS & Elements than any other software, so I think it's worth the investment.
Gid 11 2
13 Jun 2010 7:34PM
ok thanks. will try the free ones first and see how i get on. bit short of money like most of us at the moment so may invest in it a bit later on.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.