help - problem with canon DPP software on low res screen

park my ferret 15 1.0k United Kingdom
19 Apr 2009 9:08PM
Hi everyone,

I have a problem with the canon software for my 5D mk2

I'm trying to use the bundled canon software to be able to process raw files from the 5D mk2 and maybe use the live shooting function, on a small netbook pc (samsung N10) .
The point of getting this particular netbook was to be able to take it abroad on locations with me as I'm doing a comission for some travel photos ... this pc was specificly bought for this job because of it's light weight, tiny size but it's comparativly large hard drive for storage purposes. (It's OS is windows XP)

I have managed to install the software, but when I try to launch the programme it says that the screen resoloution is too small to run the programme, and won't open. (I've checked and the screen is already at the highest res it will go to)

I got around the initial loading of the programme by plugging in a large monitor while installing the programme ... however it still detects the small screen on startup of the programme if the large monitor is not connected. (and, no ... I'm not going to take a large monitor up into the mountains with me!!)

I'm presuming there must be a file within the programme files that detects the small monitor and stops the programme from starting.

does anyone know a way to get round this problem or know the specific file in question that could be deleted or something?

if anyone has any informedl suggestions I'd be glad to hear them.

thanks
Paul

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

cameracat 15 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
19 Apr 2009 9:19PM
What is the Max resolution of the display....?

EDIT: Have you tried Capture One...?
19 Apr 2009 9:24PM
it's 1024 x 600

I wanted to avoid any extra expense if possible so buying other software is a last resort.
kinfatric 15 550 9 Scotland
19 Apr 2009 9:37PM
try putting your notebook quality down to 16 bit and at a lower resolution say 800 by 600 for starters and see if it will run the software, if it does tweak it up from there....don't know if this will work mind, merely a suggestion.
Also look for answers on the help files of the dpp software or canon web site for a work around
cameracat 15 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
19 Apr 2009 9:42PM

Quote: buying other software is a last resort

Quite understand, Depending on what will actually work on the netbook, As well as how long your travelling, What about a 30 day trial version of, Lets say Capture One or even Lightroom....Smile

Then dump them when you get home....LOL...assuming they work of course...Sad

Chances are its not as simple as deleting a file, The fact that the program would not even load without being hooked up to a larger monitor, Suggests the DPP program has a minimum requirement resolution wise, So even if you could get it open, It may not display correctly.

For reliability sake, I'd try and get a program that is happy to run on the machines display, Rather than force it to run at a lower resolution ( assuming that is possible )...!

I will have a rumage through some notes I have on this subject, If I find anything useful, As " Arnie " says, I'll Be Back.....Smile
croberts 15 2.2k 8 Ireland
19 Apr 2009 9:44PM
I managed to install the canon software on a netbook, by connecting a higer res external display. but it wont run when the extra screen is removed.

Perhaps canon will come up with a fix.
brian1208 16 11.6k 12 United Kingdom
19 Apr 2009 9:45PM
from DPP:

system requirements:

Screen resolution: 1024 x 768 pixels or more
Color quality : Medium (16 bit) or more

looks like it won't take your 1024x600 (sorry to give bad news)
JamesDurrant 12 10 England
19 Apr 2009 11:32PM
I had a similar problem with my Advent netbook (MSI Wind).
My solution was to Right click on the desktop and a box opens with a tab for 'Graphic Options > Panel Fit > Center Desktop' . This gave me the option to changed the desktop from 1024 * 600 to 1024 * 768. The desktop then scrolls on the screen and the programme can then be run in a smaller screen or full screen and scroll the screen. Colour is set to 32 bit
20 Apr 2009 10:34AM
thanks - I'll try James's idea now
20 Apr 2009 10:44AM
Thanks James - got it working by hiding the screen res from the programmes - not quite your way, but I wouldn't have found it otherwise

cheers everyone
JamesDurrant 12 10 England
20 Apr 2009 8:03PM
Glad to hear that you have the programme working now.
Some more information my Netbook is an Advent 2411-B, processor is an Intel Atom N270. Operating system is XP. The graphic card is Integrated on the mother board and the ChipSet is 'Mobile Intel(R) 945 Express Chipset Family'. I think this final note is the important one for this method to be applied.
Hands 10 1
25 Oct 2009 8:49PM

Quote:Thanks James - got it working by hiding the screen res from the programmes - not quite your way, but I wouldn't have found it otherwise

cheers everyone

OMG, I have the exact same problem. even connecting a high res monitor, it still comes up with the same message. I would really appreciate it if you could just give me some clear instruction on how I would go about running DPP on my notebook. cheers

Ben
fletchphoto 18 100 1 England
7 Jan 2010 3:28PM
I have tried the center Desktop solution for the same problem on my Samsung NC10 Netbook but I still can only get a res of 1024x600. How do you 'hide' the resolution from programs as Paul said? Or does anyone else have another option?

Thanks for any help

Dave
nickburt 10 22 United Kingdom
10 Jan 2010 8:43PM
I have a Samsung N140 netbook and ran into the same problem.

However, help is at hand.

Try this:
Right click on the screen to bring up the display properties
Click Settings
Click Advanced
Click Monitor
Un-check the 'hide modes etc' box
Click OK

You can now change the screen resolution to something other than standard.

NOTE: You will have to scroll around the screen using the touch pad, but you soon get used to it

Works with DPP, should work with the likes of Lightroom etc...

But, bear in mind, the netbooks will struggle with processing due to the size of the processor and motherboard.

HTH.
Thunderace 14 25 United Kingdom
11 Jan 2010 10:58PM
I had this issue with my Samsung N140, fixed by downloading a utility called resolution manager from their website which allows 1024x768 to be set.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.