Top Black Friday Deals For Photographers

HELP! Bird identification needed.

31 Mar 2011 11:35AM
Hey there.
Ok, been an EPZ member for a couple of years now and haven't posted before now. What i would love to know is the name of a bird that's been in the garden recently. It looks very much like a chaffinch but not! I had a look on the internet to see what it was, as I thought it may just be a juvenile or a female. this search still left me with no answers.
so I thought that you lovely people at EPZ may be able to help.

unknown-bird.jpg

Sorry about the quality but had to shrink it for the web. Any ideas folks? Would love to know.
Cheers
Louise
justin c 16 5.1k 36 England
31 Mar 2011 11:38AM
It's a male Brambling (Fringilla montifringilla)
31 Mar 2011 11:40AM
ooooo. Thank you for the quick response Justin. Looking out the window a wee while ago there seems to be more of them here today than yesterday. Are they migratory?
Lou
justin c 16 5.1k 36 England
31 Mar 2011 11:43AM

Quote:Are they migratory?

Hi,

Yes they are and they generally feed in large groups. A good species to get in your garden Smile
MikeRC 15 3.6k United Kingdom
31 Mar 2011 11:44AM
Hi Louise...Justin is not wrong, it is indeed a brambling....I've heard a rumour that you like cats.... Smile

.....Mike
31 Mar 2011 11:49AM
Hey Mike.
Yes I do. But not to worry, Clio has a very loud tinkly bell on her collar. She would be in soooo much trouble if she ever caught a wee bird. Smile

Justin, thanks for that. Yes there is loads of new birds in the garden today. Its drizzly rain here so just looking out windows hoping it will stop. Grin

cheers guys
Lou
fraser 16 631 14 Scotland
31 Mar 2011 2:56PM
Yes, Brambling. We have a pair coming to our garden in East Kilbride at the moment, although a single male was spotted on its own back in early February. Luckily our dog keeps the garden cat free and the birds don't bother with her.
31 Mar 2011 3:42PM
Hey guys thank you for your help. I have another bird needing id. I think its a Redpoll, but not sure. Any help will be fantastic.
Lou Grin
redpoll.jpg
TonyBrooks 11 76 United Kingdom
31 Mar 2011 4:08PM
Yes it is a Redpoll ( **** Bird) I should know I have two pairs in my British bird collection
31 Mar 2011 5:25PM
Cheers for the confirmation Tony. I have never seen these little birds in the garden. At the moment I have 10, I'm assuming its a mix of male and female. They are cute wee things. Anyways, cheers for you help.
Lou

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.