Amazon Music Unlimited Offer: 1-Month For FREE!

Help; dumb photographer question...

EmzLou1980 12 279 Scotland
3 Jun 2009 5:08PM
I have Kenro flash transmittors, came with my canon, what are they, what are they used for and how do I use them.....

sorry Smile
User_Removed 11 1.4k England
3 Jun 2009 5:14PM
Its a IR transmitter that will trigger flash heads.

- Stick it on your cameras hot shoe, and if you have an IR flash gun like a 430ex around it will trigger it when you fire a shot.

Depending on what you have it may be an older wired jack version of this. Smile - But same effect.
3 Jun 2009 5:49PM
the flash gun would be on my to buy list not got it, how useful is a flash gun and are we talking the lights on the stand I see the pro's portrait photographers use in my town centre or is it something different?
3 Jun 2009 6:26PM
We're talking the speedlites that the pap's use.
Not the stationary strobes that you get down the town centre that run from huge 12V batteries Smile.

They generally fit AA batteries and they mount onto the hotshoe of your camera, have adjustable heads and are very useful for a portable light source. - You can use them away from your camera with the transmitter you have.

If you get one it really expand your photographic flexibility once you can use it properly.
discreetphoton Plus
16 3.5k 20 United Kingdom
3 Jun 2009 6:43PM

Quote:how useful is a flash gun?

Indispensible, as far as I'm concerned. Mine almost always travels with the camera.
Cristian 16 950 1
3 Jun 2009 7:29PM

Quote: how useful is a flash gun ?

Not much, if you are a landscape photographer...

Seriously though, I always carry mine, plus a few hand held light reflectors for any portrait photos. If you have the Kenro flash transmittors, then also think about getting something to mount an off camera flash on (another tripod for instance).
discreetphoton Plus
16 3.5k 20 United Kingdom
3 Jun 2009 7:30PM

Quote:Not much, if you are a landscape photographer

You'd be surprised... Smile
3 Jun 2009 8:06PM
thankyou, so it would be useful for those spure of a moment photos my friends ask my to take of their kids because they happen to be wearing a nice dress and looking cute Smile ok decided keep transmiter, I have two tripods already, just need to stick a flash gun on my to buy list along with a couple handheld light reflectors.....

ah so hotshoe is the metal thing that an added flsh goes onto on top of the camera, flash gun is that added flash LOL right, had a vague ideas its just putting the terms to what I already knew Smile

thanx folks

ok these hand held light reflectors, I'm pressuming good for portraits and close ups???
do they work well with built in flash or best to wait til I have the a flash gun before getting them?

advice on both products would be great Smile
3 Jun 2009 8:20PM
They wont work too well with the built in flash, its just a way to make the light "soft" - like that from a natural source.

As you probably know the light coming from a flash can be rather "hard" and direct - so you can use a reflector off to the side to soften it up abit, but this involves twisting the flash guns head to fire to the side. - which you can't do with built in.

Ever seen a lighting umbrella? - the flash fires into the umbrella and then it bounces to the subject, rather than a flash right at him/her. = soft light Smile same as hand-held reflectors.
3 Jun 2009 8:32PM
ok understood, thanx, another to add to my list after flash gun Smile

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.