Affinity Photo - professional photo editing with 50% off!

Help! Need to upgrade but how do I choose?

22 May 2011 10:37PM
Hi guys. I could do with some really practical advice on upgrading my Canon 450D. Main reason is that my daughter will be taking photography A-level (she is an ePHOTOzine member too - junior) and so the logical step is to give her the 450 and for me to upgrade. It will probably need to be a good second-hand as the money isn't there for brand new but we do have a fairly healthy budget thanks to the "opened when she was a baby" bank account Grin

Obviously we need to stick with Canon to utilise the lenses but I'm afraid that's where my ideas end and my lack of technical knowledge rears it's ugly head.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I live in Surrey so if you know of a reputable second-hand dealer this end of the world that would be good too.

Thanks for reading.
Lizzie

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed 15 3.3k 4 United Kingdom
22 May 2011 11:53PM
A second hand 40D would be a worthwhile upgrade and shouldn't break the bank.

What lenses do you guys have? I wonder if there's enough to go around. Sod's law says you're bound to need the one she's using?

I imagine you've got a kit lens (18-55) I'd wonder about in future when funds allow buying a killer lens (like a 24-70L) that you could share.
23 May 2011 6:22AM
You're right - we have a kit lens, a 55-250, 50mm fixed f1.8 and a 70-300. Thanks for the nod regarding a 40D - I shall start looking.
Cheers!
Lizzie
MalcolmS Plus
14 1.2k 13 England
23 May 2011 1:53PM
There's a 40D body in the classifieds on here for 340

Malcolm
User_Removed 15 3.3k 4 United Kingdom
23 May 2011 4:28PM
Pair that up with something like a razor sharp second-hand Sigma EX 24-70 f2.8 EX DG Macro which is a fab portrait lens and a great walkaround lens and you've got a whole new kit for around 600
24 May 2011 6:14PM
Chris, Malcolm, thank you both very much for the valuable advice. I didn't even think of the classifieds so have had a look and emailed the seller. Cheers guys Grin
Best wishes
Lizzie

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.