Exclusive Offer - 20% Off Mitsubishi CP-M15E Printer Bundle!

Help

digipad 17 14 United Kingdom
4 Nov 2015 6:03PM
Hi all I've had an interest in photography for a number of years now done various courses in the past dreamt of a career in photography etc. but unfortunately life gets in the way.
Anyway Earlier this year (April) i had a Heart Attack and Cardiac Arrest which thanks to my beautiful wife i have been given a second chance of which i intend to grasp with both hands Ive cut my hours at work to give me free time to do what i want and one of those things is to get back into photography. The only thing is i still have a family living at home so money isn't available for new kit. I do however have a Canon Eos 5D which i purchased second hand before my heart attack back in april but unfortunately the mirror has fallen out and reading various forums ill advise trying to fix it yourself due to the delicacy and sensitive nature inside the camera. My question is where could i possibly get it repaired that isn't going to crucify me in repair bills.
I do hope someone out there can help as the camera otherwise is perfect. Heres hoping cheers Dave
lovey 8 11 United Kingdom
4 Nov 2015 6:44PM
sorry cant help with getting your camera fixed but glad your getting better Smile
ikett 10 545 England
4 Nov 2015 6:47PM
Jestertheclown 12 8.3k 253 England
4 Nov 2015 7:02PM
Having just looked inside one of my Nikons, depending upon your dexterity and/or nerves (!) I reckon you could probably replace it yourself.

It was a few years ago but I once replaced the mirror that had fallen out of my Olympus OM40, using a tube of superglue that I'd borrowed from a T-shirt stand at a Superbike meeting at Brands Hatch!

The repair never let me down.
Chris_L 6 5.5k United Kingdom
4 Nov 2015 7:19PM
Take it to a camera shop and ask them for an estimate, there's a good chance it's routine and they might just fix it for you there and then for free or for a very small fee. It's worth a go and it's always nice to go into a camera shop IMO.

digipad 17 14 United Kingdom
4 Nov 2015 7:28PM
thanks for the replies guys
I've just emailed Canon direct via the link that ikett posted
lets see what comes of that
danbrann 16 640 17
4 Nov 2015 7:46PM
It happened to My 5D and it was repaired free of charge. Apparently it is a design fault with that particular model.
STUARTHILL758 18 38 1 United Kingdom
4 Nov 2015 10:51PM
Send it to johnsons of Glasgow they repaired my 5mk11 at a third of the price from wilkinsons ,did a complete overal cleaned new focus screen that had nowt to do with the repair ,like a new camera for 148
Ross_D 6 841 1 United Kingdom
5 Nov 2015 10:26AM
I've used Lehmans in Stoke (not related to the bank !!! Smile).............very reliable and efficient. You should be able to get a quote over the phone (01782 413611)

LEHMAN
7Wishes 5 61 United Kingdom
5 Nov 2015 1:43PM
This article on the Canon website Feb 2009 might be of some use in getting a free repair ...
http://cpn.canon-europe.com/content/news/eos_5d_mirror_repair.do

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.