WEX Offer: Save 50 On The Olympus OM-D E-M1X

Help archiving digital images

mblanton 16 37
17 Oct 2004 2:49PM
I have been shooting a huge amount of images lately...like 500-1000 in one weekend. How do I archive them. I don't have enough hard drive space to keep them all, but I do have a cd burner. Do you archive by date or subject category. How do you label your cd's after you burn them. Any help would be great.

Mike
debbiehardy 16 363 United Kingdom
17 Oct 2004 3:02PM
Hi Mike,
I archive on CD but always make 2 CD copies of all photos. I label one Work Copy and one Master Copy, which gets filed as a backup.
As far as labelling, I would think it just needs to be something you'd recognise, ie Oct 16th 2004 Airport Shoot or whatever. I write on the CDs with a CD pen, and keep them in a folder which holds 240!
Cheers! Debbie x
chris.maddock 19 3.7k United Kingdom
17 Oct 2004 3:04PM
I do it by date - having already renamed the images by date. I do also create a webpage "index" which I include on the CD/DVD and keep a copy on my hard diskto give me a visual index of everything.

As to labelling the CD/DVDs, all I do is write the CD/DVD number and date range on the disk.

KRs
Chris
leedewey 16 109
18 Oct 2004 3:33PM
Hi Mike,
I burn mine onto disc, using a different category for each disc i.e.. Insects, Landscapes, Birds, Portraits ect... then name each shot by date and discription. I am going to start to duplicate my discs so i always have a master.
leedewey 16 109
18 Oct 2004 3:38PM
You do not need to spend a fortune on CD writers most of the time its the software that makes all the difference.
I use Phillips CD Burner and Nero software only a cheapy from a local store (30) and i have no probs so far.

lee

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.