WEX Deals: Use code 10CAN to save 10% on select Canon lenses

Help Needed! - Camera&Lens

Bradfleet12 13 22 England
19 Jan 2011 9:23PM
Hi guys! My return to the site - after an absence spanning many months due to work commitments and lack of a camera - is this forum post asking for your much needed advice!

As i previously mentioned i've been absent from ephotozine for many months due to work commitments and i've let my much loved hobby slide. Not for much longer! I'm getting my arse into gear and getting back into the wonderful world of photography!

This is where you guys come in! Previously i've owned a Canon 30D which i adored and this time around choosing a camera to buy i've decided to delve into the second hand market, due to it being much cheaper than buying new! Looking on a website called 'Mifsuds' (ring any bells?) a Canon 30D is for sale at 279, however, theres a 40D for sale at 399. Which do you think i should go for?

Plus, i'm going to need a piece of glass to stick on the end, which is a crucial piece of equipment! I've been looking at the 'Sigma 17-70mm f2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM' lens. Again, what do we reckon guys? At 334.99 from Warehouse Express, to be used as an 'all-rounder'. Have you had any experiences with this lens?

Your opinions will be greatly appreciated!

Brad.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

sherlob Plus
14 3.1k 129 United Kingdom
20 Jan 2011 11:16AM
Depends on your choice of subject - nows a prime time for us landscapers. A dawn shoot doesn't mean getting up at bloody silly o'clock!

To answer your original question Brad I think it ultimately comes down to how much you want to spend. I remember reviews of the 40D stating that whilst an upgrade from a 20d to a 30d was pretty pointless, the upgrade to a 40d was worth it. The spec of the 40d was seen as significantly better than the 30D. I have never had either camera, but I know users of both - both of which love their kit. Both are very capable camera's - of that there is no doubt. Does the extra spec of the 40D make it worth the extra outlay - only you can decide. Personally if you can afford it go for the 40D - its a more recent technology and has a better spec; but then don't stretch yourself if you can't afford it.

The lens is another issue. Have you thought about a decent 2nd hand lens? Again depending on budget it may be worth considering getting the 30D if it gives you more cash to spend on the optic. You can buy a Canon 17-40mm L F4 serise lens for around 400 - a belter of a lens (I even think there is one in the classifieds currently). Again, I'm not familiar with the optic you refer to. Is the OS a feature you really need? I know that the better sigma lenses are branded EX.

Hope this is of some help...

Adam

PS. Welcome back...Smile
timbo 17 596 United Kingdom
20 Jan 2011 1:10PM
Mifsuds are a well known and respected supplier. I bought my D300s from them,cheaper than WHE.
Silverzone 12 2 England
22 Jan 2011 4:50PM
I can fully endorse Mifsuds a local family concern in Brixham. Sylvia
Bradfleet12 13 22 England
22 Jan 2011 7:56PM
Thanks guys for all your comments, its greatly appreciated! Smile

Brad.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.