Save 15% On Excire Foto Software With Code: EXCIRE-EP

Help needed

Kate11171 15 36 United Kingdom
18 Sep 2009 9:03PM
Hi
I am trying to do something but not sure if it is possible. I am trying to do quite a large picture for my wall but don't know how to go about it. I have a canon eos 450D which is 12 mp but what's the biggest I can blow it up to, someone told me it was only A3 which I thought was a bit small . Maybe it would be better to take the picture and then send it away to have it enlarged? I think you can have enlargements of the original rather than digitally blown up, if that makes sense. I would be grateful for your advice.
Thanks
brian1208 18 11.8k 12 United Kingdom
18 Sep 2009 9:13PM
send your file off to Photobox and ask them to print you a 30"x20" poster print. If you start with a well exposed and sharp image you 450D should have no problem with that size.

The A3 maximum suggestion was probably based on the common but mistaken belief that you need to print at "300 dpi"

(I have sold 30"x20" prints from my 350D which is why I know the 450D can cope)

good luck and enjoy the big picture Smile
sherlob Plus
15 3.2k 131 United Kingdom
18 Sep 2009 9:39PM
Agree with Brian - I have a cracking A1 print from an old EOS300D - only 6.3 mega pixels proving that the quality of the optic used can have bearing also. Remember the image needs to look good when viewed from a few steps back - most folk don't inspect a large image close up as they want to see the whole image - and this means a few minor errors close up can be fine.
18 Sep 2009 9:57PM
brian1208, great, thanks for your help. I thought that I wouldn't be able to do it but now I am quite excited again. Now I need a good pin sharp image and I should be ok
Thanks again.
What sort of pictures have you sold, if you don't mind me asking, ie landscapes or macro?
18 Sep 2009 9:58PM
Thanks for your help
brian1208 18 11.8k 12 United Kingdom
18 Sep 2009 10:55PM
Kate, its mainly local scenes (landscapes, Seascapes that sort of thing) but I also have a fair bit of success with some of my more abstract images

this one has made me several hundred pounds in sales and this has made over a thousand pounds for me.

Big cat shots and other "cute" wildlife go well too - as you can see, its a very mixed portfolio that sells

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.