Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Help needed-Photographing a set of carvings on a wall

maroondah 14 239 1 Australia
15 Jan 2013 4:22PM
Hi everyone,

I have been asked to photograph a set of carvings (approx size 40 inches tall, 16 inches wide and about 20 inches deep). The carvings are attached to a building 20 feet up and can't be removed. My task is to photograph them for later conversion to 3D by someone else. Each carving needs at least 8 images but I can't get into a position (even with a cherry picker) to cover the required angles. I have been unable to find anything on the internet which may help so I am hoping an ephotozine member might just have an idea that will work. Any ideas welcome

Many Thanks
Gerry

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

ikett 6 545 England
15 Jan 2013 4:43PM
I had a similar job some time back, I used a telephoto lens from a distance, which reduced the distortion, depends on the location though.
arhb 9 3.3k 68 United Kingdom
15 Jan 2013 4:48PM
How about a scaffolding construction built to your spec?
puertouk 5 1.1k 17 United Kingdom
15 Jan 2013 6:41PM
Why knock up a pole and attach your camera to it, then use a infra red remote? Or how about going up on ladders?
lawbert 10 1.8k 15 England
15 Jan 2013 6:55PM

Quote:Why knock up a pole and attach your camera to it, then use a infra red remote? Or how about going up on ladders?

If it cant be done by Cherry Picker then I fail to see how this would work on any levelTongueWink
Sooty_1 6 1.5k 221 United Kingdom
15 Jan 2013 8:05PM
Is there a window opposite? Or nearly? They must be in a real tricky position if you can't get a cherry picker or even a pole? Can you draw a diagram or take a pic so we know what we're up against?

Nick
maroondah 14 239 1 Australia
15 Jan 2013 8:23PM
I have attached rough guide to the problem. The carvings are outdoors. Standard cradle on a cherry picker is square/oblong in shape and doesn't allow for moving acurately through the angles.view.jpg

arhb 9 3.3k 68 United Kingdom
15 Jan 2013 8:43PM
I would still be thinking about having a solid platform built on a scaffolding that covered the circle of view, that allowed you to shoot the moulding from all the angles you needed.
This would give you the space to set up camera/tripod at any point you wanted at whatever distance from the moulding you needed.
15 Jan 2013 8:57PM
How about a tower scaffold, they are fitted with wheels and can be moved around the carving and locked in position whilst you photograph each aspect?
David
lawbert 10 1.8k 15 England
15 Jan 2013 9:24PM

Quote:I would still be thinking about having a solid platform built on a scaffolding that covered the circle of view, that allowed you to shoot the moulding from all the angles you needed.
This would give you the space to set up camera/tripod at any point you wanted at whatever distance from the moulding you needed.

Thats the answer without doubt....Scaffolders are superb nowadays in building a free form structure without the old need of tying in to the building....and a 20ft off the ground it should be super simple to erect.
mikehit 7 8.0k 13 United Kingdom
15 Jan 2013 10:27PM
Can't you move the cherry picker a couple of feet each way so you get the angle?
cats_123 Plus
13 4.7k 27 Northern Ireland
16 Jan 2013 11:30AM
can you abseil down from above?

or

sounds silly, but, am being serious - what about some stilts? Smile

or

camera on a boom tethered to a live view on a laptop? (not sure how, but am sure someone in the film industry must have overcome this problem before) Smile
Martin54 Plus
11 540 United Kingdom
16 Jan 2013 12:43PM
Would this do the job? Polecam

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.