Save 60% On inPixio Eclipse HDR Pro

Help needed with uploading to Lightroom 5.7

sandwedge 14 3.3k 3 United Kingdom
17 Feb 2021 2:07PM
I have just bought a Canon 1DX Mk2 which I am thrilled with but Lightroom will not accept the images. I have a Cfast card and a regular Compact Flash Card. I normally shoot in RAW but when I went to upload the Cfast card in lightroom I got the thumbnails all marked with No Preview Available. I thought this was maybe because I have a fairly old PC and no 3.0 USB ports. So I then tried the regular compact flash card in the card reader I have always used but got the same result. So maybe it is the type of CR2 image produced by the 1DX ? The images will download on Picassa but only as jpgs. Any thoughts what may be the problem? John
Dave_Canon 14 1.9k United Kingdom
17 Feb 2021 3:29PM
You just need t check Adobe's Raw information:- Raw Support

I have v 5.7 myself still as it was the last full version I bought but it is way out of date so would not expect it to support newer cameras. You have several choices which inlcude:-

a. Paying the monthly fee for the Adobe photographic suite
b. Using the Adobe DNG converter (download for free) to convert your Raw files to DNG which V5.7 can read.
c. Buy a different S/W package to process your images

I adopted option a, a long time ago and I am well pleased with the many upgrades since v 5.7 and, of course, I also get the latest PS as well.

The 9.98 a month I spend on this is less than I used to spend when I upgraded the perpetual licence versions every couple of years. It is also a small fraction of what I spend on photography (cameras, lenses, photoshoots, printing etc.)

Dave
17 Feb 2021 3:59PM
Thanks Dave. Normally when I shoot RAW on my 5D using a compact Flash Card there is no problem uploading to Lightroom so I would like to understand why these CR2 images wont upload.
17 Feb 2021 4:21PM
You might try connecting the camera directly to the computer. I used to have a card reader many years ago but it gave trouble so I stopped using it. Since then I have connected my cameras directly, a Canon 5D2 (IR), Canon 5D4, Lumix DMC FZ200 and a Sony A6600 and all work fine. As I almost never need to remove the cards, they are always formatted in-camera and I use only Raw for all of these cameras.

Dave
17 Feb 2021 5:25PM
Have you got the latest version of Camera raw from Adobe? I know there was a delay with some of the Canon cameras but I believe they have all been covered now. If not there is a page which can give you advise.

https://helpx.adobe.com/uk/photoshop/kb/why-is-my-camera-not-supported
17 Feb 2021 5:33PM
As far as I can tell from the Adobe site it should be OK from Lightroom 2015.5
17 Feb 2021 5:37PM
Yes, Thanks. I am confused and will dig into some research and will try downloading direct from the camera (or should that be UPloading, I never know !)
Philh04 Plus
15 2.2k United Kingdom
18 Feb 2021 7:39AM
It is quite simple... ver 5.7 does not support the 1DX mark II you need ver 6.5, the only way you will be able to use your lightroom 5.7 is via the Adobe DNG converter, you are probably better using Canons DPP or subscribing to CC.
18 Feb 2021 10:11AM
Thanks for that Phil. I guess subscription is the best way forward from here. J
19 Feb 2021 3:15PM
Thanks for all your help. I have bitten the bullet and subscribed to CC. BUT it is so complicated !! I have to go back to school. I am sure once I have passed my Masters degree it will all be fine SadGrinGrin
19 Feb 2021 5:41PM
I recommend that you use the Adobe training videos by Joanna Kost There is no need to try to learn everything at once. The training is split up into small segments. I have lived with PS and LR from almost the start but after new features are added, I will often look for her latest video covering the changes. Probably like most on the forum, I do not know everything about LR or PS but do know the processes I need. You may also be aware that with this software (and many of the alternatives) there may at least 6 ways of achieving the same thing so none are right or wrong. When you establish a process which works for you, it is right for you.

Dave
19 Feb 2021 5:50PM
Thats helpful, thanks Dave. I have learnt quite a bit already as I have had some experience with Elements and Lightroom but there is so much and yes, I have already learned there are several ways to skin a cat. Regards, John

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.