Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Help please! City and Guids course confusion!

Imagine23 9 241 United Kingdom
21 Sep 2006 9:08PM
Hi all,

I know some of you have done the City and Guilds course and I've just started level 2. I went on Tues to the 'digital' level 2 and the first session was really basic and lots of people there were complete beginners to photography. I'm certainly not an expert, but I did find it very slow and so had a look at the level 3 booklet. This did look a lot more challanging and I thought that, although I may find it hard, the course sounded much more interesting and useful. I spoke to the man in charge and he told me to come along to the Thurs session (tonight). I've just got back and it turned out the session was again a complete mix of experience and he basically said that I could do the level 3 but I would have to teach myself. I'm a bit confused because I thought each level would be taught seperately. However, tonight there were people doing level 1, 2 and 3 all in the same class. Is this the normal way of working for C&G? I thought at level 3 you would be taught at least some of it. Help I'm confused! I'm not sure if I'm going to get much out of this now but I've already paid :-O

Thanks for any advice,

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

dcash29 10 2.0k England
21 Sep 2006 10:51PM
Hi Lynn

i took the level 2 some years ago and yes it was very basic, i was even helping some fellow students.
I was told if i took level three i'd have to teach myself, something i found stupid seeing i'd gone there in the first place for tutition.

i never attended, so i trailed around the local photography clubs/socities until i found a good one. Find one that is or has members associated will national photography alliances
The first question you need to ask is will i get help/info if i need it from members?

There you should find a varied selection of knowledge although nearly all older men...lol but they will have club photo competitions every so often which is intended to give feedback from a visiting judge.

see my society link

Hope this helps some.

22 Sep 2006 8:11AM
Thanks David. It cetainly does seem a slightly bizar set up (I mean the C&G, not your society)! I went to a photo society for a couple of weeks and I thought it was really helpful but unfortunately its on the same night as the C&G (I think I've opted to go with the film based course so then at least I'll learn something as I've only ever done digital). I considered trying to get a refund (it would go quite a way towards the 17-40mm L I want!) but I'm not sure that they will allow that. I will probably look for another society on a different night to.
Thanks again
whipspeed Plus
11 4.1k 22 United Kingdom
22 Sep 2006 10:14AM
Hi Lynn

I took C&G one last year, and it was very basic, in fact a couple of us were helping others on the course who had never used an SLR before. Which was the reason I dind't sign up for level 2 this year. I'm also looking for good a local club.

22 Sep 2006 11:23AM
Yeah, its such a disappointment! I think the course could be really good if they were organised in a different way. Never mind, at least I'll know not to sign up for the level 3!

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.