Amazon Music Unlimited Offer: 1-Month For FREE!

help please photographing kids where do i start?

27 Sep 2004 10:25AM
just been asked by a friends friend to take pics of her 2 wee girls, i have no qualms about taking the pics (baing kids and all that involves etc) but was looking for some hints etc about shutter speed (should i make it faster) as they can be quite boisterous and dont want to miss the spontaneity but dont want to miss the quality etc help thanks in advance stuart oh and btw not that good at explaining myself but hope the message is ok
27 Sep 2004 10:34AM
A lot of it will depend on what type of photograph you are aiming for, traditional or contemporary???
27 Sep 2004 10:38AM
hi k thanks for replying deffo contemporary ..as the mother puts it 'i dont want pics of the 2 of them all dressed up sitting like statues next to each other', she wants something to reflect their personalities (mental)
27 Sep 2004 10:41AM
Well its not going to be easy! lol You will need everything set up before they get there, time wasted setting things up will leave them bored, you will need to work quickly too. Talk to them, make them laugh, stand to one side of the camera and get ready to click when you have the expression, pose you want, I've never found having one eye behind the viewfinder helps with photographing kids.
adonoghue 17 522 England
27 Sep 2004 10:46AM
Have a toy of sorts - it always helps to get them to look where you want them to.

As for shutter speed - what lighting are you going to use?
Natural light, flash, tungsten? The shutter speed will vary depending on the light source and the film speed (or ISO setting if digital)

btw - I'm no expert, so feel free to totally ignore what I suggest Tongue
27 Sep 2004 10:46AM
thaks k would you suggest making shutter speed faster than i normally take for portraiture ?? and no hassle about they getting bored im as mental as they are
27 Sep 2004 10:50AM
Alans right, it depends on your lighting.
27 Sep 2004 10:52AM
gonny be natural as i prefer that look also means i can go outside etc and play abojut with them without being constrained and im using digital fuji s20 pro
27 Sep 2004 11:03AM
mmm tricky, I like natural daylight best but it can be unpredictable. To try and compare, these three images all taken with available light.
Few examples, not sure if this is going to help or confuse you!
First by a side window, softened with voile curtain (spring time sunshine) here
Second natural light, different window but not enough light to keep it sharp (in hindsight faster shutter speed needed) HERE
Third in sunshine outside in the garden, sharp but made hi key in photoshop HERE
27 Sep 2004 11:07AM
all stunning images k am glad of yer feedback as i find yer pics great let her see youre portfolio the other day as inspiration i think it might be one of those try diff things approach and see what happens and if they turn out half as good as ours i will be pleased i know the back of thier house id white brick would maka a great backdrop (one is a mini mosher so would suit her perfectly thanks for the input better go and do some work now stuart
27 Sep 2004 11:10AM
Glad to help, let us know how you get on, wish I was able to do more of this type of photography. K.
creative_sara 16 647
27 Sep 2004 11:46AM
K,

I recall you saying you didn't know your f stop from your ... reckon you do know a hell of alot Smile
27 Sep 2004 11:49AM
lol! Well my knowledge of f stop is a tad closer to my.... but I still have a long way to go.
mipettin 16 884 2 Scotland
27 Sep 2004 12:03PM
-
Agree with answersonapostcard - "I've never found having one eye behind the viewfinder helps with photographing kids"

Indeed being to the side of the tripod is excellent advice - I also find pretending I am messing everything up - "Oops I have pressed the wrong button - duh I am stupid" - amuses (fools) the kids and if your lucky you'll get natural laughter - also things like "how did I get a bogey on my viewfinder.."

This approach has its pitfalls as I found yesterday taking the latest shot of my daughter Bryony in that I knocked the tripod with my knee (Another thought - get on their level - do not tower over them) and broke my camera zoom lens (it got stuck in the housing and wouldn't retract - part fixed now (fingers crossed))

One thing about lighting I have got some reasonable results with window lighting - conservatory is ideal for this and using a big white piece of laminated card as a reflector to bounce light onto faces to fill shadows - I avoid flash as again it can put the children off.

No.1 though get on their level and act like a kid - be chatty ask them what kind of picture they'd like - funny, moody etc and try and keep them interested while you snap to the side.

Martin
-
28 Sep 2004 8:16PM
i have no prb getting on thier level martin just over 5 foot here lol i have a reflector as well so should be of use i agree get them involved i will let you all know how i get on ....or not for that matter lol thanks again for all yer help stuart

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.