Help Please 5D or 30D

20 Mar 2007 3:14PM
Hi folks,I have at the moment an EOS 3 but wish to purchase a Canon digi SLR body only,As usual Canon let us down at focus so I didn't get to have a play with the 5D or 30D I don't know which one to buy,I mainly do aviation photography,Money isn't a problem.

Cheers Pete

(PS I have fuji 9500 but do not rate it)

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed 15 17.9k 8 Norway
20 Mar 2007 3:17PM
I used to be a Canon man before digital Pete but, as a D200 user (and VERY happy) I will admit to hankering after a 5D. For me - given your situation - I wouldn't hesitate. 5D for me.
justin c 15 5.0k 36 England
20 Mar 2007 3:18PM
If money isn't a problem the 5D is the better camera,at least regarding image quality.
MikeBonsall 13 474 3 Guernsey
20 Mar 2007 3:19PM
If money isn't a problem and you mainly do aviation (and bird judging from your PF) photography then why not look at the new 1D MkIII - crop sensor and fast frames per second shooting speed should be ideal for your kind of work.

Mike
Tandberg 16 1.2k 2 England
20 Mar 2007 3:26PM
Cropped sensor
1D mark 3

Full frame money no object get the 1DS 2..
Dave
Carabosse 16 41.3k 270 England
20 Mar 2007 3:47PM
If you can wait a few months, it may be worth seeing whether the successor to the 5D provides any worthwhile upgrade to the current model.

Hopefully not just more megapixels!!
andytvcams 17 10.4k 1 United Kingdom
20 Mar 2007 4:08PM

Quote:If you can wait a few months, it may be worth seeing whether the successor to the 5D provides any worthwhile upgrade to the current model.

You mean six months.
Chris_H 15 1.5k 1
20 Mar 2007 5:20PM
It might be worth looking at a Canon EOS 1D MK2, the secondhand prices have come down a lot and this would allow you much better focusing particular at tracking moving subjects and it would also allow you to autofocus when using converters on slower lenses.

Chris
ZenTog 17 7.9k 1 England
20 Mar 2007 5:28PM
eos1dmk2n there much better than all the otehr canons for sports use, I would think the extra frames per second etc might come in handy for aviation as well, also the extra focus points and supereir exposure will make this a good one for you to use, already hte prices are dropping and a used one would probally only set you back 1200 theres a couple for sale in the classifieds
Little Jo Plus
18 2.3k United Kingdom
20 Mar 2007 5:36PM
As the owner of 20D and 5D, here's my tuppence worth:

If you have a bag full of L series lenses or the budget to upgrade, want full-frame, low noise images of exceptional quality - the 5D is absolutely superb. It's very good value now selling at about 900 below it's launch price. Downside for some may be the 3 fps maximum frame rate.

If you have lesser lenses, more limited budget or need 5 fps, or do mostly telephoto work (I suspect this is the case with aviation photos), the 30D will do you proud.

If you want something in between, can live with the 1.3x crop factor and want bulletproof, albeit heavy build quality, the 1D MkIIn will be good value or, you can join the queue for the MkIII, with its faster handling and other benefits.

I think it's fair to say that the only thing that will let down the 5D is its ability to do things quickly. It is a beautiful camera to use in every other respect.

Jo
dark_lord Plus
15 2.4k 598 England
20 Mar 2007 5:42PM
I would say the 5D as I'm biased! However, I still have my EOS 3 too, and having used it for a number of years (sadly very little this last two years) I'd say you would be disappointed with a 30D handling wise. Given your interst in aviation, then the suggestion of a 1D II is an excellent one. A second hand one would be around that of a brand new 5D, so if you are prepared to spend at that level, go for it.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.