GB Sports Photographer & The Panasonic LUMIX S1

help please with technique

NEWMANP 11 1.6k 574 United Kingdom
9 Jan 2013 3:51PM
i have uploaded a picture in my gallery of a goth with a lantern. i have managed to work out how to get a golden glow on her face as a reflection but i cant find a satisfactory way of making a realistic glow in the lantern.
id be obliged for any assistance with this as i would like to use the image as a print in a panel i am working on.

this isnt about clicks or anything, im not interested n clicks but id love to hear any ideas that might acheive a finished picture

Phil

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

arhb Plus
12 3.4k 68 United Kingdom
9 Jan 2013 4:24PM
Hi Phil,
just done this - if it's what you're after, I'll write method.
lrg-74916-1357509488.jpg

Tones need adjusting to your pallette Smile
9 Jan 2013 4:26PM
brilliant stuff, may be a bit orange but its generally what i wanted, please walk me through it, i like the result. i like the way you kept the bright bit down the centre and got the darker glow on the small left hand strip.
Phil
mikehit 10 8.0k 13 United Kingdom
9 Jan 2013 4:40PM
It seems to be a disconnect between the white of the lantern and orange glow on her face. I have just tried something similar with PSE: Filter/Adjustments/photo filter and pick the colour you want to use. If you do it on a layer you could blend them to get the best effect.
arhb Plus
9 Jan 2013 4:50PM
OK,
select the glass of the lantern, and add a solid colour fill layer(set colour choice and adjust later).
Set blending layer to vivid light.
Then from layers menu, select layer style > outer glow.:
Opacity = 100
Noise = 0
Choose Solid colour(your choice) rather than gradient option
Technique = softer
Spread = 50
Size = 70
Range = 100

Start with these settings and colours Phil, and adjust to personal taste.
Eviscera 13 1.1k 149 United Kingdom
9 Jan 2013 5:41PM
phil-kt.jpg

Pimp Phils pic Smile

Ill post an alternative workflow if ya like.
CDSINUK 7 223 England
9 Jan 2013 8:01PM
or just add a render in elements if you have it, go to render, lighting effects, soft spot light, intensity 37

lrg-74916-1357509488.jpg

9 Jan 2013 9:01PM
thanks Chris though i use photoshop and im not sure if it works the same but i will check it out and have a go.

Andrew, im going to have a go, did you work on each pane one at a time or select them all together

Steve. only you could think of leaving the light and changing the face, WinkWink still, now you making me think out the box, im thinking of splattering blood on the gravestone Grin

thanks Mike.

could be a good group this -- pimp my pic
9 Jan 2013 9:59PM
goth-and-lamp.jpg

thanks all this is my best attempt so far
Paintman Plus
13 1.3k 177 United Kingdom
9 Jan 2013 10:29PM
lrg-74916-1357509488-copy.jpg

I've over yellowed the light but this was done by copying the b/g layer and making a mask of the red channel, then using curves to darken most of the mask and leaving the light areas as they were. Change the blend mode to screen and reduce opacity. I made two separate layers and filled one with yellow and one with white, using the same mask. Change the blend mode to Overlay and reduce the opacity. I blurred all three masks so the effects would bleed slightly. I should have toned down the effect and perhaps reduced the saturation on the yellow layer to make it less bright.

If you want more glow then blur the masks more. Use a brush on the mask to tone down selective areas.
arhb Plus
9 Jan 2013 11:07PM

Quote:Thanks Chris though i use photoshop and im not sure if it works the same but i will check it out and have a go.

Andrew, im going to have a go, did you work on each pane one at a time or select them all together

Steve. only you could think of leaving the light and changing the face, WinkWink still, now you making me think out the box, im thinking of splattering blood on the gravestone Grin

thanks Mike.

could be a good group this -- pimp my pic

Sorry for the delay - just got in from a shoot.
After making a basic selection, and using a solid colour layer,
I refined the mask with a black brush, so that all and only the glass was effected by the colour layer.
Once that was done, I used the layer style.
10 Jan 2013 10:39AM
sorry Dave you are not Steve, im losing it
Phil

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.