Help required about Wacom type Tablets

Dabber 17 229 England
21 Jan 2019 12:26PM
I would appreciate some advice and recommendations regarding the selection of a ‘good value’ tablet for use with Photoshop.
I have been considering investing in one for ages, but being an septuagenarian, with not much disposable income, there’s always something else taking priority!
However I do spend a lot of time using Photoshop at the moment converting my huge collection f negatives into a digital form and enhancing them in Photoshop.
I use YouTube frequently to look at tutorials for improving the images and it’s apparent that the serious retouchers all use the pen and tablet rather than the mouse.
I do have some reservations, mainly regarding its ease of use, and whether I would spend more time learning how to use this combination than I would working on my images?
Thanks for reading through this, and hopefully you can offer advice, or even, maybe, have one to sell on quite cheap!!
Dabber

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

JackAllTog Plus
10 5.5k 58 United Kingdom
21 Jan 2019 12:36PM
Hi Dabber,

One thing i noticed was that for photography a small tablet is fine as you typically zoom into work on detail. A larger tablet is probably better for artists that might need to create a longer detailed line in one go.
RoyBoy 14 303 2 United Kingdom
21 Jan 2019 12:38PM
I note that you asked the same question back in October and had some advice given at that stage. Things haven’t changed a lot so far as products are concerned in the last three months.
Dabber 17 229 England
21 Jan 2019 2:12PM
RovBoy
I don't recall that (sorry) although I did ask back in 2016, which is a while ago, and with the rapid changes that take place with technology I wondered if things had changed.
If I did run a post last October I apologise, but I have have tried to find it by doing a search without success.
Dabber
saltireblue Plus
9 9.4k 35 Norway
21 Jan 2019 2:18PM
Dabber - here's the link to your thread from October.
https://www.ephotozine.com/forums/topic/graphic-tablet-recommendation-118221
Dabber 17 229 England
21 Jan 2019 4:04PM
saltireblue
Thanks for sorting that, can't understand why I failed to find it before I posted my request................sorry
Dabber
strix 4 2 Austria
22 Jan 2019 12:56AM
Hi Dabber,
I'm 70+, I purchased a small Wacom Intuos Photo about 2 years ago, and I'm really happy with it.
Provided, you'll hang on a couple of hours each day and try hard, you'll learn to love your tablet within one week. In this early stage, it would be a good idea, to lock in the mouse in a dark, hardly accessible place for at least a week or two. However, in the learning phase you also have to configure the tablet and the pen buttos according to your needs and preferences. It may be not trivial to find out what is the best for you. The Wacom's manual will not help you much. You can find more useful information e.g. here: https://gregbenzphotography.com/photography-reviews/use-a-pen-tablet-for-better-photos-in-photoshop?utm_source=drip&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=My+favorite+tool+for+creating+better+photos+with+Photoshop.
Be confident, after this hard time on the beginning, you'll forget your mouse and no more reach for it when working in Photoshop. As you can read in the web, this is not only my experience.
Ota
thewilliam2 2 1.2k
22 Jan 2019 10:19AM
I'm a little short of my 70th but find that it's better to use both mouse and Wacom, whichever is better for the task.
strix 4 2 Austria
22 Jan 2019 12:19PM
@the william2
Sure, it depends on the task. I don't see any benefit on the side of pen&tablet when working on text sites or in my browser. On the other hand, within Photoshop (and this is the question here), pen&tablet is much better than mouse, particularly if you are used to edit your pictures by means of the brush tool. At the same time, I don't see any downside by pen&tablet in other editing steps Iin PS. Pen&tablet work for me also in Lightroom, but the mouse does it too.
bluesandtwos 9 393 1 England
23 Jan 2019 8:30AM
I'm also an 'old dud' Wink and also living with money restraints but if my Wacom tablet died (it's an A5 really old one!) I would replace it straight away. I use the supplied mouse for ordinary computer work and the pen for evrything photo related. They are brilliant, I highly recommend them. It doesn't take at all long to learn the basics and very quickly you will learn to co ordinate looking at your screen while making the appropriate movements on the tablet.

Dave

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.