Save 50% on inPixio Photo Studio Pro

Help setting up dual monitors

JohnHorne 16 1.0k
21 Nov 2006 4:07PM
I'm having difficulty setting up a second monitor to work on my son's PC.

I have installed a new graphics card which has a VGA port and a DVI port. A VGA monitor is plugged into the VGA port and it works fine. A second VGA monitor is connected via a VGA cable and a DVI / VGA adaptor to the DVI port; this doesn't work.

I have proved that both monitors and both VGA cables work (by plugging each in turn into the VGA port). I've proved that the graphics card supports dual monitors by plugging a DVI monitor into the DVI port and a VGA monitor into the VGA port, and configuring the PC to use both screens.

The only component in this whole jigsaw that hasn't been proved to work is the DVI / VGA adaptor. So that must be where the fault lies, right ? Well I returned the adaptor to Dabs and bought another one of a different make from a local shop. Still no joy. So I went back to the shop again. The manager had never heard of one of these adaptors failing ("there is nothing to go wrong") but was willing to swap it. I've now tried this third adaptor and still can't get the second monitor to work.

I've checked for loose connections, downloaded an updated driver for the graphics card and rebooted the PC.

Have I overlooked something ? Any pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks
John

PS. Don't know if it is relevant but the graphics card is based on the NVIDIA GeForce 6200 chipset.
User_Removed 16 3.3k Russian Federation
21 Nov 2006 4:09PM
I had a similar problem when setting my dual monitors up. In the end, I binned the VGA-DVI adapter and bought a VGA to DVI cable (obviously, it only works on monitors without a fixed cable) and that sorted the problem...
BOB S 18 2.6k
21 Nov 2006 4:11PM
See if THIS is of any help.

BOB

Edit and THIS
JohnHorne 16 1.0k
21 Nov 2006 4:21PM
Thanks Bob. I had already looked at the advice on the Microsoft website. I've read the advice from your first link but, like the MS link, it assumes that the display panel offers you the choice of how to configure the two screens. Unfortunately, on my setup it isn't detecting the presence of a second monitor.

Magicboy - it looks as though I might have to adopt that approach. Can't see why it should work yet the use of an adaptor and VGA cable fails, but if your experience was that it sorted the issue then that's what I shall do.

Thanks
John
JohnHorne 16 1.0k
21 Nov 2006 4:30PM
Magicboy - just to check, you were connecting a VGA monitor to the DVI port, not the other way round ?
User_Removed 16 3.3k Russian Federation
21 Nov 2006 4:33PM
Yup, that's right.
JohnHorne 16 1.0k
21 Nov 2006 5:17PM
Hmm... I've just borrowed a DVI - VGA cable from the local computer shop and connected it up. Still no joy. Even if I swap the monitors over. Even after rebooting.

Does anyone have any other ideas ?
croberts 16 2.2k 8 Ireland
21 Nov 2006 5:46PM
is windows set to display on a 2nd monitor??

if you right click on the desktop, and PROPERTIES>SETTINGS

you should see 1 monitor, and the 2nd faded out. check the box for extending the windows desktop.

apologies if youve already done this.
JohnHorne 16 1.0k
21 Nov 2006 5:53PM
Chris - No, I don't see this choice, though I know what you are referring to.

When I plugged the DVI monitor into the DVI port (alongside the VGA monitor) then this option was available. And when I selected it the PC was happy to use both displays.

Once the DVI monitor was unplugged, the option disappeared. It has not appeared again when plugging the VGA monitor into the DVI port using either the adaptor or the borrowed cable.
BOB S 18 2.6k
21 Nov 2006 6:13PM
John,
Have you tried connecting the VGA monitors the other way round, i.e. the one you had connected to the VGA output into the DVI + adaptor and vice versa??

BOB
JohnHorne 16 1.0k
21 Nov 2006 6:21PM
Bob - Yep. When I do that whichever monitor is connected to the VGA port works and the one connected to the DVI port doesn't. I've swapped the cables too, so I know that the problem is not casued by a faulty cable.
Saxon Marsh 18 295 England
21 Nov 2006 6:21PM
silly question but have you installed the drivers for the new video card - Mine has to be set in the software to display multiple desktops otherwise the second port is not recognised - my card is a Nvidia Geforce FX5700LE

Keith
JohnHorne 16 1.0k
21 Nov 2006 6:31PM
Keith - Yes. As one of the diagnostic functions didn't work I downloaded and installed the latest driver yesterday. (The function now works, but doesn't help.)

But even with the original driver the card was able to support a VGA monitor and a DVI monitor at the same time.
BOB S 18 2.6k
21 Nov 2006 7:40PM
John,

That really is a strange one, sounds like you may have to buy a DVI monitor for your son's christmas present. You have not unchecked the tick box for extended monitor function by mistake have you ? I think the default is OFF

BOB
JohnHorne 16 1.0k
21 Nov 2006 8:03PM
You may be right ! The daft thing is that he wanted a larger screen in the first place. I had a spare monitor and thought that buying him a dual-head graphics card would be a more economical option. Buying a new monitor at this stage becomes even more expensive.

Just a final thought. Both monitors are flat-panel screens and over four years old. Is there anything about older monitors that means they are incompatible with DVI ?

John

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.