Amazon Music Unlimited Offer: 1-Month For FREE!

Help setting up dual monitors

_ 16 535 4 Virgin Islands, British
21 Nov 2006 8:19PM
I wouldn't think so.
I use a Dell 21" CRT job as a 2nd monitor and find it fine through a VGA-DVI adaptor.

If I was still using PCs I'd go through with you the exact way I went about getting the two monitors working. Looks like you've covered all the angles, but just make sure your graphics card is properly fitted to your m/board, sometimes they can make bad connections.

Cheers,
John
JohnHorne 16 1.0k
21 Nov 2006 8:35PM
John - I'm pretty sure the graphics card is seated properly. After all, when a DVI monitor is plugged into the DVI port it works fine.

I've just tried connecting one of the VGA monitors to the DVI port of another PC, and it doesn't work. Doesn't that suggest that there is an incompatibility between these particular monitors and DVI ?

John
stevenj 17 2.0k England
21 Nov 2006 10:32PM
Sounds as if your monitor is detecting that it is connected to a DVI port, even though you are using a VGA-DVI connector.

First, see if you can check all the settings for the monitor connected to the DVI port - refresh rate should be 60Hz or less to start with, and also set a low resolution. There may even be an option in your graphics card driver to tell the card that you are using the DVI port with a VGA monitor - check for that (although unlikely).

Check that the DVI-VGA connector has the correct DVI pin configuration - some have a '-' pin and some have a '+' pin, although the '-' should work with both.

Usually these problems are to do with the resolution and/or refresh rate.

Edit: Also check the menu on your monitor, it may have a option for selecting DVI input via VGA or something - I've just re-read your post and it would indicate a monitor config issue.
JohnHorne 16 1.0k
22 Nov 2006 9:22AM
Steven

I tried setting the refresh rate to 60Hz (the lowest setting available). Also set the resolution to 800 x 600 and the colour depth to 16 bit. No joy.

There isn't an option in the graphics driver s/w to indicate how the ports are being used.

"Check ... pin configuration". How do I do this - what should I be looking for ?

I've checked both monitors' OSDs and neither has an option to select input source or type. (I would have thought that might apply only if a monitor has both DVI and VGA ports ? These monitors have VGA input only.)

I appreciate everyone's attempts to help !

Thanks
John
BOB S 18 2.6k
22 Nov 2006 10:19AM
John,

A bit of a long shot here, there are adaptors for conversion both ways ie DVI-VGA and VGA-DVI, are they both the same I wonder ? If you have the wrong one and they are different.........

BOB
JohnHorne 16 1.0k
22 Nov 2006 11:25AM
Bob - I explained in the shop that I wanted the adaptor / cable for connecting a VGA monitor to a DVI graphics port. The manager said that was exactly how he used the cable that he leant me. So, I don't know whether there are different types but I believe that what I have been trying to use is the right thing for the job.

John

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.