Shop Cyber Monday Deals For Photographers

help wanted

Attention!

This topic is locked.

Reason : Lots of options for the OP.

Kool_Kat 15 166 United Kingdom
21 Feb 2014 8:41PM
I have just upgdated my PC to windows 8.1 since then I am getting discusting POP-Ups I have run Norton and Norton Erazer they have found no problems my PC can any one help
Thanks Kat
21 Feb 2014 8:58PM
Make sure Norton is up to date. Also you coould try downloading malwarebytes (the free version) and update it then run it.
robthecamman 10 1.7k United Kingdom
21 Feb 2014 9:24PM
microsoft use to have a pop up blocker you need to switch on.not sure where it is though sorry
21 Feb 2014 9:27PM
Thanks running malaware
21 Feb 2014 9:27PM
look for system tools pop up blocker should be in there
21 Feb 2014 9:35PM
which ever browser your useing internet exploer or google chrome go into settings then privacy you can set blocker in there Smile
Jestertheclown 13 8.5k 253 England
21 Feb 2014 9:38PM
You could also try running Malwarebytes paid for version.
You can instal and use a free trial although I can't remember how long it lasts.
I've never been convinced that 'paid for' stuff was any better than the free versions. Some of the AV makers have admitted that the differences are insignificant but I ran this on my second machine and it found over eighty items of malware. That's a lot more than the free version ever picked up.
You don't actually say what these pop-ups are; presumably it's some kind of malware. In which case, there's every chance that Malwarebytes will deal with it.
If it is malware, you really need to be rid of it rather than trying to hide them using the pop-up blocker, which probably won't work on malware anyway.
I'm not surprised that Norton hasn't found anything.
21 Feb 2014 9:47PM
Thanks it has picked up 17 infections upto now
LesleyJ 14 247 England
21 Feb 2014 9:50PM
Try CCleaner too I usually run both if I have a problem.
I don't like Norton - I have been using Microsoft security essentials after a recommendation and had no problems for ages.
21 Feb 2014 9:55PM
Thanks I will look into that too still on 17 doing a full scan. Hope it works Sad
21 Feb 2014 10:14PM
Scan finished that has not worked any other ideas guys
21 Feb 2014 10:19PM

Quote:I have been using Microsoft security essentials

Ditto, works for me too...quietly and unobtrusively in the background...and free...Smile

Norton was a nightmare, and Kaspersky not much better..long since deleted/unsubscribed...
Willpower 10 509 United Kingdom
21 Feb 2014 10:30PM
There is another anti virus that is very good Avast. It is free and blocks all undesirables quietly in the background. It is not resource hungry and there is a free version which should adequately deal with your situation.
Dave_Canon 15 2.1k United Kingdom
21 Feb 2014 10:37PM
As I understand it, W8 already has a lot of built in security but you still need anti-Malware. There is some advice provided by Microsoft on Windows 8 Security.

Dave
Jestertheclown 13 8.5k 253 England
21 Feb 2014 10:44PM
Windows Defender, which, I believe used to be MSE.

I could tell you a story about Norton, Kaspersky and Mcafee but I don't have time.

None of which is much help to KK.
What have you upgraded from? And how?
When I migrated to Windows 8 (not .1) I nuked the hard drive and carried out a clean installation. If that's how you did it, it's hard to imagine anything going wrong.
You could try again using the paid for version of Malwarebytes but it sounds as if whatever you've got is pretty intrusive and I'd have expected the free one to find it.
Presumably, you can't carry out a 'system restore?' that might do it.
Sadly though, it does sound as if you might have to bite the bullet, nuke your disc and re-install from scratch.