Shop Cyber Monday Deals For Photographers

help wanted

Attention!

This topic is locked.

Reason : Lots of options for the OP.

Big Bri 20 16.7k United Kingdom
21 Feb 2014 10:50PM

Quote:I don't like Norton - I have been using Microsoft security essentials after a recommendation and had no problems for ages.

MSE regularly comes bottom whenever independent tests are done on security software.

If you must use a free one, AVG is probably the best, or Avast.

Kaspersky is without doubt the best, although quite expensive (unless you bank online with Barclays, as they give you a free 3 PC license).
Jestertheclown 13 8.5k 253 England
21 Feb 2014 11:10PM

Quote:Kaspersky is without doubt the best,

The story to which I referred above . . .

At the school where I used to work, they were forever being hit by malware, it was known as 'viruses' in those days, usually via email.
The AV they had in place was Mcafee, which was costing them a pretty penny but stopping nothing.
So they replaced it, at the advice of their technical expert, with Kaspersky, which also cost them a pretty penny and also stopped nothing. If anything it was less use than Mcafee.
Finally, one of the ICT teachers binned all the paid for stuff and installed Avast free edition.
Which worked amazingly well.
21 Feb 2014 11:54PM
How long ago was that ?

I'd prefer results tested in labs by experts rather than anecdotes about school IT departments Smile
22 Feb 2014 12:01AM
Here are some quotes from PC Pro's recent test of all the main AV packages:

Quote:Initially, Kaspersky Internet Security 2014 looks like a straightforward package; if you want, it can be. In our tests, the default installation intercepted 100% of threats without us needing to lift a finger. It barely raised a whisper about legitimate software, either: it's one of the least intrusive suites we've reviewed. If you want a security suite you can install with a few clicks then forget about, Kaspersky is an excellent choice.

Quote: in our tests, it proved highly capable, intercepting 94% of our real-world malware. The best paid-for suites do better, but if you don't want to dig out your wallet, Avast comes fairly close to those levels of protection

Quote:Security Essentials updates its signature database only once a day, while many paid-for packages run to an hourly schedule. This may partly explain why it stopped only a shocking 67% of zero-day threats in AV-Test’s detection tests, and even missed 10% of more established threats. This isn’t what we’d call peace of mind.

You can read the full results here:

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/reviews/internet-security
22 Feb 2014 12:05AM
About two years ago Bri.
Personally, I don't have much faith in internet stories by faceless so-called experts either.
I really don't think there's any way of knowing one's any better than another unless you use them.
22 Feb 2014 12:13AM
Well, the link I posted is not an "internet story", it's written by people from a well respected magazine read by many professionals in the IT business. If you were buying a car, would you not read reviews?
These are exhaustive tests conducted by people who know what they are doing. Having come into contact with many so called "experts" in schools, I wouldn't trust any advice from any of them.
22 Feb 2014 12:21AM
Each to their own. Bri.
Magazines are no more reliable as a source than the Internet.
I'm not suggesting that they're wrong, merely that I don't automatically believe, just because they've had something published, that they're right.
22 Feb 2014 12:29AM

Quote:Personally, I don't have much faith in internet stories by faceless so-called experts either.

All of the people on the magazines have their names AND faces in the mag, and have many years expertise in the IT industry, if you bother to read it.

And yet here you are, nameless and faceless, on the internet, handing out advice...

LOL

Smile