Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

  • NEWS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Help will this lens fit???

SH87 6 10 England
3 Jan 2013 8:51AM
I've just found and brought a old Tamron variofocus close up lens very cheaply, I believe that this is designed to fit on to a lens with a 50mm filter screw thread. I currently have a Canon 1100D with a 18mm-55mm Lens which has a filter thread of 58mm.

Have I got a hope in hell of being able to use the tamron close up lens???


Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

mikehit 8 8.0k 13 United Kingdom
3 Jan 2013 9:06AM
You can buy 'step down' rings which look like an oversixed washer which has a male thread one side and female thread on the other and these are used to link two different sized threads. Step up rings are more common so make sure you do not buy one of these by mistake.
If you use a 50mm filter on a 58mm lens thread, you risk getting serious vignetting where the image circle does not cover the whole of the sensor.
Gaucho 16 2.8k 2 United Kingdom
3 Jan 2013 9:22AM
thewilliam 9 6.1k
3 Jan 2013 9:40AM
You should measure the fitting diameter again because two very common sizes are 49mm and 52mm. I've never come across a 50mm filter thread.
mikehit 8 8.0k 13 United Kingdom
3 Jan 2013 9:43AM
Gaucho - those are step up rings to fit a larger filter (male thread) onto a smaller lens (female thread). The OP want to fit a smaller filter (50mm male thread) onto larger lens (58mm female thread).

The inset pictures show the difference.
Gaucho 16 2.8k 2 United Kingdom
3 Jan 2013 11:09AM
Oops, sorry. However they sell both kinds on that site.
LenShepherd 10 3.6k United Kingdom
3 Jan 2013 2:36PM
Step one is still carefully hold the close up lens against the front of your 18-55, camera in manual focus and, looking through the viewfinder, closely move towards a near subject. If at some point looking through the viewfinder the image is sharp, you can get it to work Smile
You need to find the exact size as they close-up filter thread. It might be 49mm, 52mm, 55mm or if you are lucky 58 mm. Then with the right filter adapter you can start to use it. The image quality may not be as good as with a prime lens. As it cost you very little money it should be fun to use.
3 Jan 2013 2:56PM
SRB-Griturn are your best bet for an adapter or step-up/step down ring. If they don't have the size they can make to order.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.