WEX Offer: Save 50 On The Olympus OM-D E-M1X

Help with flash please!

16 Mar 2007 7:25PM
Hi, I would be grateful for some advice on using flash indoors where there is tungsten lighting. Do I set the whitebalance on flash? or Tungsten?
I tried both before but my flesh tones are coming out with a sort of red colourcast.
And what should I set the ratio at on manual to keep the atmosphere of the venue but record details?
Im using a D200 with SB600 flash -
Thanks.
JonR 13 26
16 Mar 2007 7:38PM
It depends.

If your only light is coming from flash (i.e. top sync speed) then set it for flash. If your light is from mixed sources, i.e. slow sync mode, then your two light sources are different colours and you need to correct the flash with a gel.

Best way to test, leave your cameras aperture on whatever you've set it on. Then set your top sync speed but turn your flash off. Take a pic. If you can see anything then you have mixed light sources. If you can't then the only light is coming from your flash
16 Mar 2007 9:02PM
thanks I'll try that
nikon5700ite 16 1.8k
16 Mar 2007 9:08PM
The eye is very sensitive to mixtures of light sources.
Check out Colour Temperature here on Epz.or here
That your subjects flesh tones were very red suggests that the ambient light was quite strong compared to the flash strength. A long shutter speed can make low ambient light stronger than the bright but very short flash exposure. Flash strength is normally controlled by the aperture and ambient light by the shutter.

Don't mix light sources except for special effect, or gel the flash as suggested.

If instead of artificial light sources you used daylight through a window you should get cooler fleshtones, even too cool if the daylight is coming from a 'north' light.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.