WEX Offer: Save 50 On The Olympus OM-D E-M1X

Help with mud in camera please!

19 Jan 2009 9:13AM
Hi

I am new to the forum but I am hoping someone can help me out. I have a Canon PowerShot A70 which I have had for a long time but that I am still very happy with. My daughter borrowed it at the weekend and fell over in the mud! Mud has got inside the lens. It still seems to work OK except that half of the plastic cover that slides across to protect the lens when the camera is off no longer shuts. I have cleaned it out as best as I can with a lens cloth, is there anything else I can do?

Thanks

Tracey.
User_Removed 15 4.3k 2 United Kingdom
19 Jan 2009 8:46PM
I think you might need to get it professionally serviced.
It would probably be cheaper to buy a new or used one like this one on Ebay
24 Jan 2009 8:58AM
go for an upgrade you would get a decent camera for under 100 or if your ambition is to be a photographer then splash 200 on the fujifilm s9600 from amazon or ebay.
3 Feb 2009 9:10AM
Hi

Thanks for your advice. As it is working OK apart from half the lens cover not closing I will stick with it until I have some spare cash. Then i will go for an upgrade as suggested.

Tracey.
ray835 11 150 Wales
3 Feb 2009 9:31AM
claim on your household insurance...
3 Feb 2009 9:41AM
It may be worh claiming, I hadn't really thought about it for some reason. I am not sure how much they would pay though, the problem is it was worth a fair bit when new, but like most technology not much now. I don't know what they would pay out. I will have to look into it.
NikLG 15 1.7k England
3 Feb 2009 10:03AM
I had a similar problem when I got Showaddywaddy stuck in mine...never been the same since...
kaybee 16 7.4k 26 Scotland
3 Feb 2009 10:43AM
Try using a can of compressed air to blow out anything jamming the door
NikLG 15 1.7k England
3 Feb 2009 12:13PM
tut..I am wasted on you lot....
Carabosse 17 41.5k 270 England
3 Feb 2009 12:37PM

Quote:I had a similar problem when I got Showaddywaddy stuck in mine...never been the same since...

Quote:Tut..I am wasted on you lot....

Hmmm..... I wonder why? After all.... You've got what it takes!

Grin
NikLG 15 1.7k England
3 Feb 2009 1:20PM
Cheers...I'll have that going around in my head for the rest of the day now.. Sad
simont 16 2.3k 4 United Kingdom
3 Feb 2009 1:42PM
Is it really worth claiming it on your house insurance?

Surely they'll just dump your premiums up next year to cover the cost of the claim, and even if you've got full no claims protections it'll still go up (inflation + 2%) so the money grabbing buggers don't loose out.

Sad
3 Feb 2009 1:52PM
You are probably right, plus I would also have to pay an excess. i think I will probably just stick with it for now.
RogBrown 13 3.1k 10 England
3 Feb 2009 2:40PM

Quote:Is it really worth claiming it on your house insurance?

Surely they'll fork out on a new-for-old basis, so you'll get the latest model or similar at the cost of a small increase in premium. No contest!
simont 16 2.3k 4 United Kingdom
3 Feb 2009 4:14PM
I think if you look in an earlier forum there have been comments that the insurance companies have insisted on which model they replace the camera with, which may or maybe be as good as the original.

If the camera & equipment was 300+ then maybe an insurance claim would be a good idea, but for camera of around 130 taking any excess into account is it worth claiming? Or are we just becoming a nation of claim/sue for everything regardless of who's fault it was (no offence meant to Tracey) and see if we can get some money for it?

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.