Save 15% On Excire Foto Software With Code: EXCIRE-EP

help with opening raw

Kate11171 15 36 United Kingdom
7 Sep 2009 1:55PM
Hi sorry if this has been mentined lots of times but I can't find a relevant one.
I have canon eos 450d and CS3. I remember opening some files in raw when I first got my camera but I have been shooting in jpeg and only just got back to trying raw. I now can't open them, they are just called CR2 and when I try to open them it says I can't open it as it isn't the right type of document. Not sure what has changed or more likely that I have forgotten what I am doing. Am I supposed to download a raw converter? I thought the raw converter came with the camera software because I don't remember downloading anything. I would be grateful for any help
strawman 17 22.2k 16 United Kingdom
7 Sep 2009 2:02PM
type in Adobe RAW converter and you will get hundreds of posts. In summary go to the Adobe web site, go to the support site and look at downloads for your version of photoshop and check you have the latest updates, especially the RAW plug-in. Follow their install instructions and check your camera is supported.

If your camera is not supported read the manual your camera came with and look at the software disks. You should have a copy of DPP Canon's own RAW converter.
Kate11171 15 36 United Kingdom
7 Sep 2009 2:05PM
Thanks for that. Can I not assume that my camera supports raw if it has the option of shooting in raw?
Stewy 14 103 2 England
7 Sep 2009 2:21PM
It's not your camera that is the problem. As Strawman says, you need to check Adobe site to see which cameras are supported by your particular version of Photoshop. As new camera models are brought out, they sometimes also have a new version of RAW file. If it is one which is not currently supported by the RAW converter in your version of Photoshop, you just need to download the latest version that will.

Martyn
cameracat 17 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
7 Sep 2009 2:26PM

Quote:Can I not assume that my camera supports raw if it has the option of shooting in raw

If your camera is a Canon 450D, Then it shoots & supports raw.

If your using CS3 you may need to update your Camera Raw plugin.

Last update for CS3 is Camera Raw 4.6..... Available Here.

Version 4.6 Camera Raw includes support for the Canon 450D, Unless a firmware update has changed anything, Since then.

Or Do as John has advised...Wink
simont 17 2.3k 4 United Kingdom
7 Sep 2009 2:33PM
Don't forget that you'll need to set the camera to shoot in

"raw and jpeg"

or "just raw"

or "just jpeg".

Can't remember if when you shoot in raw and jpeg if you can set the quality of the jpeg image as well or if it's preset.

Simon
John_Frid 15 514 57 United Kingdom
7 Sep 2009 5:34PM
The simplest (although not necessarily the best) way to access your raw images is by using the software supplied with the camera.

Canon's raw processor is called DPP.

The way I access my raw images is via Zoombrowser (also supplied by canon with your camera). Zoombrowser can read your canon raw files allowing you to see them. To edit them you click on the edit button and from the list that is shown pick DPP as your editing tool. When you have finished editing in DPP, you can either transfer them directly to Photoshop (as eith jpeg or tiff), or you can simply convert and save them (again to jpeg or tiff) to file.

Although there are probably better raw converters out there, for the most part I have been happy with DPP.

Hope that helps.
Chrism8 14 1.0k 29 England
7 Sep 2009 6:43PM
If you just want to view the Raw images before deciding which ones to " process " try Picasa 3, I use it as described to weed out the c....p and save time.

Chris

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.