EPZ Exclusive: 20% off ALL fotoVUE books (use code EPZ at checkout)!

Helping my Mom get started in photography

bradleyheathhays New Member
7 Nov 2018 10:09PM
My mother has always wanted to take a photography class but her mobility issue has kept her from achieving her goal. So this Christmas I'd like to see what I can do to make this happen for her. I'm looking for recommendations for both online intro to photography classes and an appropriate camera. At 64 Mom tends to get frustrated more easily now with technical matters so I doubt she would like to take things any further than just your average amateur photo education. Her goal is basically just to get out and start taking pictures.

Can anyone suggest a good online intro to photography course as well as a camera that would suit our purpose? I believe she'd like a more traditional model camera with changeable lenses and a focus ring. For a guideline I could do about $300 for the camera now with the idea of upgrading with more lenses later. Other than that we're wide open to suggestions.

thanks

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

LenShepherd 10 3.8k United Kingdom
8 Nov 2018 8:03AM
In the UK contacting the disabled photographers society might be a good starting point http://www.the-dps.co.uk
As you have a $ budget perhaps a web search will identify a similar society in the USA.
Tianshi_angie 3 2.2k England
8 Nov 2018 9:57AM
If your Mum has mobility issues then depending on how mobile she is and what her physical capabilities are I would suggest that it may be that a DSLR ( the camera with interchangeable lenses) would be difficult for her to manage when out and about. That set-up will be quite a weight for her to carry about even if you limit the lenses to two. I would suggest that you start her out with a Bridge camera. They are made by all of the camera manufacturers and the results they produce are excellent. It is possible to use them for a very wide variety of subjects - landscapes, portraits, still life, macro, night and low light.

There are some reviews on here (Look under 'Cameras') of Bridge cameras which may help you to decide. But I would also suggest that as your budget may limit you for choice you look at the second hand market where there are usually good cameras for sale.

I agree with Len about searching for a society in the USA but otherwise there are very many excellent videos on YouTube - search for Photography for beginners.
JackAllTog Plus
9 5.3k 58 United Kingdom
8 Nov 2018 1:22PM
If mobility means its hard to get to outdoor subjects then you should also look at providing her loads of indoor subjects she can get access to - perhaps flowers near a north facing window for soft lighting. And if she has a collection of anything she wishes to photograph then clearing a space and providing a clear background for the shots may also help.
A big thing then will probably be feedback - so helping her with a family/friend social media account and how to share easily her images. Or even an account on ePhotozine or similar.

ePhotozine lists some photography schools here, you may find some with good online offerings. https://www.ephotozine.com/directories/category/photography-schools-or-colleges--45

Good Luck

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.