WEX Deals: Sony Summer Cashback - Claim Up To £300

Hendon Air Museum

RayBeck 14 43 United Kingdom
12 Apr 2016 4:06PM
I am going to the Museum over the weekend and should be grateful for any advice re taking images. In particular do I need to take my Nikon D750 with its great high ISO performance or can I get away with my SonyA6300 which works very well but not as good at high ISOs. The D750 kit weighs a ton and for along day walking round I would prefer to take the lighter kit but I want to give myself the best opportunity to get decent images.
Thanks in advance for any advice you can give.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

colin beeley Plus
17 1.2k 10 England
12 Apr 2016 5:31PM
great place , it will be very busy think about taking a tripod so you can use a ND-10 stop filter to blur out all the people walking about .
12 Apr 2016 6:02PM
I agree with Colin, it is a great place. Its not always easy to capture just 1 plane due to the number of exhibits. Don't forget the hurricane that is outside
Jestertheclown 11 8.2k 252 England
12 Apr 2016 7:25PM

Quote:think about taking a tripod

I'd seek advice before doing that.

I haven't been there for a few years but I seem to recall that tripods weren't very popular. Neither was flash.

Might have changed since then, of course.
thewilliam 11 6.1k
12 Apr 2016 10:30PM
When tripods are banned, think about using a monopod.
AnthonyM 15 428 2 United States
12 Apr 2016 11:18PM
I've never had a problem with flash as far as security yelling at me, but often the scale of the place and the objects in it doesn't always make a single hot-shoe flash all that useful. I've used it a few times, but often opted for higher ISO for many shots.

The place is often way to crowded to allow for a tripod to NOT be rude and in people's way. I do not believe they are appreciated nor accepted. If its quiet, maybe try and apologize later. Smile
Security does search bags on entering, so you may want to call or check their website to see if they have allowances for tripods before you get there and have to schlep it back to the car before you even get in.

I would opt for high-ISO camera. Better to have a bit of grain than blur.
If you do not have the chance to go back often, suffer with the bigger-better camera.
If you can go back at your leisure, take the small camera and take note of the things you want to bring the big one back to get later. (But I assume if you're asking, it is because you're likely not going to return soon).
13 Apr 2016 7:47AM
Many thanks to all those who have posted a reply to my original query. All the information is extremely helpful. I will phone Hendon later today to check re tripods. I also intend to take my D750 and the ND10 stop filter although if tripods are not allowed it will be difficult to use the filter without some sort of support for the camera. As Anthony suggested this is likely to be a one off visit hence my desire to take the equipment that will give me the best opportunity to get a good image (or two) without breaking my back if possible.
Happy shooting to one and all.
13 Apr 2016 10:13AM
Just phoned museum and they advise that provided the photographs are for private use and I let someone know at the admissions desk it is perfectly acceptable to use a tripod. Here's hoping I get some good shots. Thanks again for all the advice and help.
bwlchmawr 8 32 1 England
13 Apr 2016 5:49PM
It's a wonderful place but as it's free, locals use it as a kind of indoor crèche or playground for their children who have no interest in aircraft (obviously). Get there early. It's in a state of flux at the moment with lots of exhibits disassembled ready for a move around. We fear it may well be "dumbed-down". The Great War building has just been renovated and it outstanding. I used my Canon EOS M without a flash and the pictures were just fine.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.