Affinity Photo - professional photo editing with 50% off!

Hi

shugsi 10 34
21 Sep 2013 3:15PM
Names Hugh aka Shugsi, been a member for a wee while but have not posted before, until today.

Im a single 51 year old male from Dumfries who has taken the plunge and bought an dslr, must say though that I am a complete novice, but hopefully soon I will be like all you guys and taking stunning images.

Have been to a couple of local camera clubs but have not been impressed, seems I don't have the latest gear Sad

Hope to get hints and advice and hopefully find people in and around my area who can meet up and give me some pointers.

Anyway I better not rabbit on.

Catch you later guys

Hugh

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

MarkBroughton 11 286 1 United Kingdom
21 Sep 2013 3:27PM
Hi Hugh, youve been here for a while so I dont need to tell you its a great place to learn, gets tips, get inspiration. I am forever inspired by some of the great photographers here, and not landscapes which is what I upload. One day I'll take the plunge into other styles but until then am happy just looking and thinking. One thing I will say is dont hesitate to ask questions about techniques etc. I dont agree with if you dont have the latest kit, you cant get stunning images, because its just not true. I have difficulty getting anything as good as stuff I got with my old Canon 400D, and still regularly process images taken with it. Just look, be inspired, ask questions, and go for it Smile
Cheers
Mark
saltireblue Plus
9 9.8k 36 Norway
21 Sep 2013 3:32PM
Greetings, Hugh and welcome to ePZ...even though you've been here a while.

Just remember, it's not all about the kit, but the brain and imagination that sit behind the viewfinder.Wink

Malc
shugsi 10 34
21 Sep 2013 4:11PM
Hi and thanks for taking time to reply Mark I have a Canon 400D and have put a post up regarding upgrading it to a 500D but maybe I should spend a bit more time with the 400D and learn more instead of worrying about my kit. Have actually been looking at a Lensbaby Composer lens as I love the effects you get with it, would love to do portrait work with it.

Malc I know what you mean about the kit, have seen the "all the gear no idea" lot, not here in photography but in other hobbies I was into, got lots of ideas in my head but cant seem to get them to appear in the images I take Sad

Hugh
adrian_w Plus
12 3.8k 4 England
21 Sep 2013 5:21PM
There's nothing wrong with a 400D, I use one most of the time despite having a 5D as well.

Ask yourself what you are wanting to do that the 400D can't supply? If the answer is "nothing " then there's no need for an upgrade.
If there is something then look at which camera will fill that need.
As far as upgrading goes, I'm not sure that a 500D would be a big step up. A better choice would be the 550D, which can be found at a good price if you look around.

Quote:Have been to a couple of local camera clubs but have not been impressed, seems I don't have the latest gear

Just ignore those sort of people.
shugsi 10 34
21 Sep 2013 6:49PM
Hi Adrian, having read your message I did ask my self if my 400D would be good enough for sports and action photography, but the 400D only shoots at 3fps, is this adequate or should I go for the 40D?

Hugh
adrian_w Plus
12 3.8k 4 England
21 Sep 2013 8:47PM
Not sure about action photography, that may be a bit slow. As for sports, it depends on what sport; in many cases the action may be quite slow or there is a natural break in the proceedings where good photos can be obtained. With a lot of sports the amateur is not in a very good position for taking pix, so you may need to invest in long focal length glass to get the best results. That may be more important than high fps.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.